Sunday, October 7, 2018

Two Shows One Post

Last weekend Dustin, Pat, and I saw Thrice at the House of Blues. The openers were not great which made the night go on and on...and on. Thrice didn't come on the stage until 10ish (the opening bands played very long sets) and this grandma was cranky! BUT Thrice was well worth the traffic, bad openers, and late stage time. They killed it as per usual. I really loved hearing 'Anthology' and 'In Exile' live along with their new songs of course. It was a really great performance but my complaint was the lack of interaction with the crowd. We've seen Thrice a lot over the years and Dustin is usually pretty talkative but this time was different. The only words I remember him saying was announcing the band and saying hello to Orlando. Other than that he was silent. Yes, we're all there  in the same place to watch them play music but it's also fun to watch the bandmates banter or to hear a fun story about being on the road or hearing what was the background of a song. We got a good musical show but nothing more which was disappointing. 


Last night Dustin and I headed downtown to watch The Early November aka TEN. We tried to get dinner at Harry Buffalos but the place was crawling with Seminole fans aka there wasn't an empty seat in the place. We ended up at Graffiti Junktion which hasn't been great the last year or more. I don't know what it was but we both enjoyed our meals for the first time in a long time so that was something. We took our time and watched both Florida games before heading over to Soundbar BackBooth. I had no idea what Soundbar was and then as soon as I stepped foot in the place I was like "This is definitely BackBooth". I hadn't been in that particular venue since I was a teenager. I really love how small and intimate it is. We missed the first band but caught Jetty Bones and The Dangerous Summer which were both pretty damn good. I knew very little of either of them prior to seeing them live last night and they both impressed. The Early November was incredible even though there was technically only two original members in the line up. It didn't matter though because the other guys were great especially that kid wonder Nate Sanders who played guitar, keyboard, violin, and some kind of horn. I wish I could play one instrument and this guy can play everything! Ace has always been talented but he and the band just seem to get better with age. Unlike Dustin (Kensrue), Ace spoke to us a lot throughout their set. He mentioned how they rarely make it down to Florida (which is sadly true) and discussed how he thought 'Call off the Bells' would be everyone's least favorite song of In Currents which is why it is last on the album. There was one moment where he almost fell backwards (I got it on video - watch below) and he laughed it off and then at the end of the song said "We got a little wild" in a matter of fact way. The Dangerous Summer talked about "getting wasted and partying until 3 AM" whereas Ace was like "I'm going to bed in my hotel room after this." (which is right up my alley).  He's always had such a likable personality and it's cool getting a glimpse of it in between songs. I'm pumped for their new album.

  IMG_9382 IMG_9384 IMG_9393


As always please forgive my horrific voice. I can't sing worth shit but goddamn do I love to do it. 
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.