It usually takes me 25 minutes to get home from work but of course on the day I had plans it took me an hour and a half. A military humvee flipped past my exit at 3 pm. I got the alert when it happened but since I don't leave until 5 pm, I wasn't worried about it. Jokes on me BAYBEE.
As I left work I was so conflicted about whether or not to even go home first. I figured I'd might as well stay and have Katie come all the way to me. But the map ETA kept changing and when it looked somewhat bearable I just said "fuck it" and headed home. It was smooth sailing for a few miles and I thought for sure I'd been cut some slack by the traffic gods. Oh how wrong I was. Every single car going eastbound soon came to a complete stop. We wouldn't go more than 5 miles an hour for a good 45 min. It was beyond frustrating. You know the kind of frustration where you turn off the music or podcast and you just stew in silence with the occasional honking in the distance? Yeah, that was me. Of course I knew it was all out of my control but STILL. Once I finally got off I-4 I thought I was some kind of roadway-genius and tried to take backroads. SO DID EVERYONE ELSE. By the time I walked through my front door Katie was waiting on the couch talking to Dustin and I just glared at them both. Of course neither of them did anything but I needed a minute to just be. And breathe. And change.
Luckily we made it just as the opening band was ending their set. There was plenty of time for us to pee, eat, and just let out the biggest breath and relax.
In my 25 years of shows and concerts I had never see Death Cab. I had tried several times but either they never came to Central Florida or getting tickets were so hard. I also had never seen The Postal Service because they have hardly ever toured their one and only perfect little album to begin with. So it was rad as hell to finally be able to experience Transatlanticism and Give Up live, twenty years later.
It was well worth the wait...and the traffic. Death Cab played Transatlanticism from start to finish. I noticed they were all wearing all black. There was a 20 min break and then The Postal Service played Give Up from start to finish while wearing, you guessed it, all white.
With every Ben Gibbard nerdy dance move, every synth-sound, every flashback to 2003-2005 of when I would play this CD in my car for months at a time, I somehow appreciated that album even more than ever. It was already on my very prestigious perfect-no-skip-album list but now after seeing it played live it's been cemented that much more.
















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.