Sunday, January 7, 2024

2023 in Review, A Breakthrough

For the first time since 2016 I truly had a great year overall. Every year, at least in recent memory, during this weird period of time between Christmas and New Year's I've just thought over and over in my depressive state what a fucking shit year. But not these past weeks. Life has peaks and valleys and I'm just grateful I'm on the up and up - hopefully for a while before a dip comes to topple me over once again. 


FRIENDS

I reconnected and/or just got some nice quality IRL time with so many people I hadn't seen in too fucking long. From my middle school besties Val and Anna, to getting to spend time with Mel (my first bestie since kindergarten) on her farm for the first time, to celebrating 20 years since graduating and getting to catch-up with even more longterm/past-lifetime-friends, to hanging with the Fidak buds for a few days in Pitt. I feel really grateful that I got to cross paths with all of you again because as much as I love keeping in touch electronically, nothing beats those in-person hugs and laughs. Insert millennial heart hands here. What in the hell are those Gen Z ones?

And to all my regularly scheduled IRL friends, you're family. You are always the most meaningful, important, and fun part of my year. It was a joy putting together my Year in Review video and getting to relive so many fun moments. 


 


HEALTH 

I was finally able to lose weight. I'm down 28 lbs (ecstatic about that!) and have 10ish more to go. I am 38 and I am the most active I've ever been in my whole ding dang dong life. I actually counted my exercises from my Apple Watch and I worked out for at least 30 min (walk, weights, or yoga) for 340 out of 365 days. 

I went to the dermatologist more than I ever had in a single year to figure out the best combo. for my rosacea, hormonal acne, and eczema. The only skin care routine I follow is the one given to me by my derm. and aside from the prescription stuff I'm on, she has recommended brands like Cerave (I use their AM and PM moisturizers), La Roche Posay (face wash to help with rosacea), and Vanicream (fragrance free products for sensitive skin - body wash and deodorant). 

I started experiencing nosebleeds out of nowhere. It would feel like I had snot dripping down my face and when I went to wipe it with my hand it was bright red. They became fairly frequent so I started to document when they happened, what I was doing when they happened, and how long they lasted and brought the information to my primary doctor. He referred me to an ENT and finally after some silver nitrate up the nostril, I haven't had issues since.

Dustin had his very first ER visit when he thought he was having a heart attack. Thankfully it turned out to be a combination of a Ghost and his thyroid medication. That was his first and last energy drink. 


And because your girl loves a list...

FAVE SHOWS THAT ENDED (Singing Sarah McLachlan's I Will Remember You) 

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Succession
Ted Lasso
Never Have I Ever
Sex Education


FAVE NEW SHOWS  

Beef
Jury Duty
The Last of Us
Cunk on Earth
Gen V
Shrinking
Silo

FAVE MOVIES (Not a great movie year to be honest) 

Past Lives
Barbie
Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

FAVE BOOKS (28 total for the year) 

Remarkably Bright Creatures - Shelby Van Pelt
Don't Let Her Stay - Nicola Sanders
Fourth Wing - Rebecca Yarros
Happy Place - Emily Henry


LIVE MUSIC  

Anberlin* @ The Social 
Copeland @ The Social
Taylor Swift @ Raymond James Stadium
Deanna Carter* @ Daytona State College 
Thrice @ House of Blues 
Paramore @ Amway 
The Early November @ The Beacham
The Spill Canvas* @ The Beacham
Armor For Sleep* @ The Beacham 

* indicates first time seeing them live


FAVE ALBUMS 

Jetty Bones - The Pandemos: Songs I Wrote Instead of Killing Myself
Paramore - This Is Why
Taking Back Sunday - 152
The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein
blink 182 - One More Time


FAVE SONGS  

Whatever - Jetty Bones 
You First - Paramore
Now and Then - The Beatles
About Me - The Early November
Dial Drunk - Noah Kahan & Post Malone
Keep Going - Taking Back Sunday
labour - Paris Paloma
Heart to Heart - Capstan, Belmont & Jason Tyler
Sideways - Misterwives
Ice machines - The National

2023 WILD NEWS MOMENTS 

Trump's Mug Shot
Spy Balloons
Bear at Lake Eola
Titanic Submarine
Panera Lemonade Deaths
Orca's sinking yachts
Hottest year on record
Mitch McConnell Freeze
Canadian Wildfires (and the smoke in the US)
George Santos Expelled
Whistleblower David Grusch


2023 POP CULTURE MOMENTS  

Roach at the Met Gala
Nepo Baby
Girl Dinner
Girl Math
Roman Empire
Barbenheimer
Taylor and Travis
Pop-Tarts Bowl


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.