Everyone always gets so excited about the New Year because well, it's just that - new. Also it symbolizes fresh starts. I get that a number changing on the calendar is a big deal and should be treated as such. However, this time of year really screams "fresh" and "new" to me. Football is slowly making it's way back to our televisions, classes are almost in session, & the weather will start to dip gradually and then all at once (for the rest of the country anyway). There will be new menu items displayed in coffee shops and diners, everyone layering up, and more days off work. The days will be shorter but there will be so many holidays to celebrate. This is the time of year that really grabs me and shakes me awake where a more refreshed and excited version of myself is found.
Dustin and I were in Target the other day because, well, we never NEED a reason to be there. It's just one of those places that kind of draws you in at least once a week but sometimes more for no apparent reason. We had a couple things on our list that we needed and one of them was a lunchbox. The lunchbox I've had for the last couple years got ruined thanks to an unfortunate balsamic vinaigrette spill. We were in the lunchbox section that is near the fitness and sports stuff and all the lunch boxes sucked! SO BAD. But then we came across the 'Back to School' section with a variety of amazing lunchbox choices. Dustin and I found one that looked like and shaped like a cheeseburger. I was so close to actually getting it. Then Dustin tried on a JanSport backpack and modeled it down the aisle. I'm sure people thought we were weird since we were sans children. It just brought back so many memories of going shopping for school supplies. I mean, I was thrilled to get a new Five Star Notebook, new pens, mechanical pencils, and all the organizing tabs my heart can handle. That was like pre-Christmas for me. So being in that school section just really reaffirmed that a new school year was upon us. Of course this means nothing to me since I haven't been in school in like 10 years and have zero children BUT it's what it symbolizes. I remember that feeling of going into a new grade, thinking I was a little cooler just because I was a little older, and although the transition from year to year isn't as drastic these days I still get that feeling. Ok, maybe I'll never truly be cool but I feel like I've got life figured out just a tiny bit more this time around.
I'm excited about this new year aka the fall and all it will bring. I've already got several events lined up and I'm looking forward to each and every one of them. And maybe I will go back and get that cheeseburger lunchbox. Life's just too short to not buy/do what you want even if it looks ridiculous to other people.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.