Watching: So many shows! Some of these I finished back in December or maybe even November but I haven't done a 'Currently' post in so long I figured I'd just include them all.
Z: The Beginning of Everything (Amazon Prime) - I finished this show within 12 hours thanks to being sick. Also the episodes are only 30 minutes long. This show is about Zelda, wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald. I've loved Christina Ricci since childhood (The Addams Family, Casper, Now & Then, Gold Diggers, That Darn Cat, etc) so when I saw she was starring in this show I was even more game. The show starts in 1918 and then follows the early years of their marriage in the roaring 20s. Obviously F. Scott Fitzgerald is well known for his books but I didn't know much about Zelda. She steals the show. She is just so fiery and unpredictable and totally her own person. Also the clothes she wears in this show are incredible. Example one. Example two. Example three. Example four.
The OA (Netflix) - Katie was the one who told me about this show a few weeks back. I started watching it by myself but then Dustin got hooked and finished it with me. This one is hard to explain so here's the IMDB description: "Having gone missing seven years ago, the previously blind Prairie returns home, now in her 20s with her sight restored. While many believe she is a miracle, others worry that she could be dangerous." I love how different this show is. It's set in present day but the story really is so interesting and has so many layers to it that I couldn't stop watching. Like Katie )and others I've spoken to about it) the ending was not what I was expecting. It left A LOT open which is fine if things are answered in the next season. So just a warning that it leaves you feeling a little dissatisfied.
Luke Cage (Netflix) - This became my "gym show". I would watch an episode while on the treadmill and it made the time fly. It starts off a little slow but it picks up the pace by episode two. I love Luke. Like I have a crush on this character (just like I do with Matt Murdock). I mean he's awesome as just a regular person but his super powers are incredible and just plain bad ass. He's like up there with Wolverine. It takes so much to take this guy down. I also loved the villains. I liked Cottonmouth 10x more than Diamondback. There was also something about Shades that was smooth yet evil. Ha! If you like the other Marvel shows on Netflix than you'll like this one. Now I can't wait for Ironfist to premier next month and then The Defenders in the summer!
The Crown (Netflix) - I watched this the weekend it was released and OMG it's good. It's even more intriguing since the Queen is still alive to this day. What a crazy life she has had! I am always fascinated by royalty of any kind even though Dustin's always like "they aren't better than anyone!" and yeah I totally know that but it's still interesting.
Good Girls Revolt (Amazon Prime) - This is hands down my favorite show in the past year or so. It is about the women who work at 'News of the Week" magazine in 1969. At first, a lot of people compared this to Mad Men and I think it is a million times better than that show. Sure they are alike in the fact they are a period show about a specific profession in NYC but that's where the similarities end. I love how they show how women were (and sometimes still are) treated in the workplace in terms of position, wage, and sexism. And once they notice this themselves they start a revolution. There were real women fighting for equal rights. It mirrors today in a lot of ways (unfortunately). I watched this show before Trump became President. I watched it before the Women's March was even an idea. But now I look back at these women both real and the fictionalized and I resist just as they did. The shitty thing about this show is that it has technically been canceled after only one season but there are rumblings another network might pick it up. FINGERS CROSSED.
Master of None (Netflix) - It took me awhile to jump on this train. I'm not sure what it was but the promos just didn't do it for me so I wasn't really interested. But you know who does it for me? Aziz! I fucking love Aziz. I loved him in Parks & Rec and I've watched all of his stand-up specials. I even read his book 'Modern Romance' which is very good by the way. So I was like what the hell. It turns out this show is so good! It's loosely based on his life (actor working in NYC) and his real parents play his parents in the show which is hilarious. But beyond that it's funny and there is romance and conflict and all that jazz. Overall though it's just clever and witty. I can't wait for season 2.
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) - This is another one I binged the weekend it came out. It was enjoyable, sure, but there were a lot of things I didn't like about it. Rory's life was a fucking mess. Jess and Lane were barely in it. Logan was in it far too much. Rory is ok with being "the other woman" and Lorelei doesn't say anything to her about this. Luke and Lorelei thinking of having a baby was a dumb storyline as they are 50 years old and have been together for what like 10 or more years and they both already have grown daughters. That play was so terrible I had to fast forward through it. The best two characters and storylines were most definitely Paris and Emily. It was nice to revisit Stars Hollow again but it didn't fully meet my expectations.
Listening to: Ed Sheehan of course! His first two new singles are great. This guy really can do no wrong when it comes to music. I cannot wait for the rest of the album!
Looking forward to: Feeling like myself again. Two more Disney days! Galentine's Day and Valentine's Day too. More Rachelle sleepovers. Our anniversary. The March for Science. The Fern Creek reunion. Getting back to the gym. Getting my hairz did for the first time in 6 months.
Photos: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six









No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.