When Amanda first told me she was moving my stomach immediately started to turn. It seriously hit me in the gut because she's one of my favorite friends (and co-workers). I remember telling Dustin over the phone that I'm trying not to be sad until the actual last day comes.
Hold it together until it's time to fall apart.
I feel like I did pretty well with that. I let myself just live in each moment and appreciate each day I had with her. I arranged a little after work dinner a couple weeks before her last day with our fellow co-workers. We had such a fun time even though not everyone was able to come. Still we laughed and talked and reminisced.
She and I went out to lunch just about every day that last week she was here. I already miss that.
Her last day was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I had that Friday off because I was traveling to Texas so we threw her goodbye party that Thursday. We went with a coffee theme because she was our coffee fanatic. She is serious about coffee the way I'm serious about snail mail. She drinks her coffee black. She is too hard core for cream or sugar and only occasionally will drink coffee with some kind of flavor. Although she did have this blueberry coffee once and the aroma that came out of her office was so delicious. Anyway, was there really any other theme except coffee? The answer is no.
We all banded together and came up with decor, food, and a little gift. Although it was a sad day we had such a good time. We were really trying our darnedest to show her how loved and appreciate she is and especially how missed she will be.
I left work early that day to catch my flight but she had asked me to drop her off at her dealership to pick up her car on my way home, which I of course agreed to. I felt so strong and together during that drive, but the minute we hugged and said our "final" goodbye, I just lost it. She finally got out of the car and I drove away but that shit was hard.
I went to Walgreens for something right after and sobbed the entire time I was in the store while simultaneously talking to Dustin. It was hard. Even though we text almost daily I still miss seeing her walk by my office or ask if I brought my lunch or looking out at the bird family together.
I know people move...and move on. I know we're not all supposed to stay in the same little bubble forever. It took a long time for me to be ok with that but it's still hard to get used to. I admire those that can pick up and start a new adventure more than anyone. It's so easy to stay in the same place and certainly takes a lot of guts to go somewhere new. I'm happy for her and her family and wish them the best in Ohio.
She's only a 2 hour flight away and 3.5 hours from Dustin's grandma's house...














No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.