It's only a matter of time until someone I know, someone I love, OR hell even myself is gunned down my a maniac who had easy access to guns. That's fucking terrifying.
There are a million reasons mass shootings are a problem but guns are absolutely one of them. I have said it once and I'll say it again, I DO NOT LIKE GUNS. I am not a gun person. I never will be. BUT that doesn't mean I want to take everyone's guns away. Keep SOME of your guns but you don't need any kind of machine gun.
NOPE.
You don't. I don't. No one does.
I liked Dustin's suggestion of people who want guns should have a choice of a revolver or a shot gun. Both are still guns but guns that can't do the kind of damage a machine gun can. I realize this will never happen but it's really not a bad idea at all.
The way mental health is treated (or not treated) in this country is another huge issue. There needs to be more resources, more acceptance, more awareness, more everything regarding mental health.
Since the Las Vegas shooting I have been racking my brain on what I can do. I called my congressman and asked them to vote NO on two current bills. I called my Senators and asked them what they planned to do. I looked through two anti-gun groups I'm a part of One Pulse For America and Everytown for Gun Safety to see what else I could be doing. The phone calls and internet groups were a start but they don't feel like nearly enough. I have a plan of how I'd like to make politicians pay attention but it's still in the early stages. I haven't even told Dustin about it. I do plan to see it through though. I will not be silent. And I hope you aren't either.
NRA member speaks out on gun control.
White Men Have Committed More Mass Shootings Than Any Other Group.
Jason Aldean's bandmate changes his mind on gun control.
Jimmy Kimmel on Mass Shooting in Las Vegas.
Preventing Mass Shootings Like the Vegas Strip Attack
This video explains America's gun problem.
Wow ... pretty much sums up America's gun problem pic.twitter.com/k1RXXcO4jG— Zora Suleman (@ZoraSuleman) October 7, 2017
Senator Chris Murphy on Las Vegas shooting:— Greg Hogben (@MyDaughtersArmy) October 2, 2017
'It's time for Congress to get off its ass and do something.'
🙌 pic.twitter.com/6d8bamTMNJ
GUN CONTROL NOW. ENOUGH ALREADY. GROW THE FUCK UP. THE AVERAGE PERSON DOESN'T NEED A FUCKING MACHINE GUN. ENOUGH ALREADY. ENOUGH. ENOUGH.— billy eichner (@billyeichner) October 2, 2017
The lone wolf. The local shooter. The gunman. Any and everything, but terrorist. Wonder why.— Ava DuVernay (@ava) October 2, 2017
Dear Congress, we don’t need your moment of silence. We need your moment of action. NOW— Josh Gad (@joshgad) October 2, 2017
When words no longer suffice it’s an opportunity to listen, choose one’s next words with intention & back those up with action. Love to all.— Aubry Bracco (@aubrybracco) October 2, 2017
The Onion has run this story verbatim five times since 2014, switching out only city, photo, and body count. https://t.co/3Wte72H73C pic.twitter.com/I0ohfOx7rA— laura olin (@lauraolin) October 2, 2017
Heartbroken by the tragedy in Las Vegas last night. Make no mistake, this is an act or terrorism. Real gun control is horribly overdue.— The Early November (@theearlynov) October 2, 2017
...I hope changes will come soon in the US.— Bill Nye (@BillNye) October 3, 2017
When a 64 year old white man kills 58 and wounds 500 in fifteen minutes from 1200 feet with a knife, I will absolutely call for knife control. Until then, you've made the world's shittiest point.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) October 2, 2017
The GOP insists that the Vegas shooter's gun arsenal is "a right," but medical treatment for his 500+ survivors is merely "a privilege."— Desirina Boskovich (@thedesirina) October 2, 2017
To my colleagues: your cowardice to act cannot be whitewashed by thoughts and prayers.— Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) October 2, 2017
None of this ends unless we do something to stop it.
— Jane Levy (@jcolburnlevy) October 3, 2017
77% of Americans DON'T own a gun. Nearly 90% want STRONGER gun control. It is NOT a democracy if a vicious few control what the law will be.— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 3, 2017
Number of Americans killed on battlefields in all wars in history:— richard bacon (@richardpbacon) October 2, 2017
1,396,733
Killed by firearms in the US since 1968:
1,516,863
(NYT)
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) October 4, 2017
Pissed as hell over: The way our so-called President is handling or rather not handling the crisis in Puerto Rico. Hurricane Maria wrecked Puerto Rico and our President has barely made mention of it and when he has he just insults them. Well, fuck you President asshole. Thankfully the country is coming together and helping. Bethany Frankel has (as of the other day) sent 40 planes down with supplies. Ricky Martin has also set up a fundraiser. When I saw Orlando Cares: Hope for Puerto Rico needed volunteers to help packaging 4.4 million meals I immediately got the word out. My girl Alyssa came back almost as soon as I posted and was all "I WANT TO JOIN YOU!". So tomorrow she and I will go down to the Orlando Convention Center and volunteer our time. I'm really looking forward to it.
Is this too much to ask for from President Paper Towel? pic.twitter.com/4rJPpnOcy9— RogelioGarcia Lawyer (@LawyerRogelio) October 4, 2017
Angry as hell: Over the Trump administration's decision to roll back the birth control mandate. Women voted for Trump. Like is there a more hypocritical thing ever? Thanks for helping fuck over yourself and the rest of us.
"The Trump administration is poised to roll back the federal requirement for employers to include birth control coverage in their health insurance plans, vastly expanding exemptions for those that cite moral or religious objections." -Robert Pear of the NYT
What the actual fuck is happening? I say that multiple times a day since that man became president. There were some that thought I was overreacting by getting the nexplanon implant. OH WAS I? No I sure as hell wasn't. I'm covered for 3 years thankfully but what about all of those girls who want to use a different form of birth control? Like the pill or shot or patch? All of those were free. I used to roll up to CVS to pick up my birth control pills and the balance would read $0.00. Now any employer can say NOPE we're not paying for it. The war on women is strong but women are stronger.
"Some women use birth control for..." I use it for sex. A human activity. Idgaf if you don't think I should be having sex. I use it because I want sex and don't want kids. Die mad about it.— Melanie Dione (@beauty_jackson) October 8, 2017
"71% of our elected officials are men and they don't know shit about birth control." - Sophia Bush
States are standing up to Trump by refusing to roll back birth control coverage.
Missing: Tom Petty. My mom introduced me to so many great artists during my childhood and Tom was one of them. I remember jamming out to him in her old ass Toyota Corolla station wagon. She had his albums and cassette tapes. In high school I bought my first Tom Petty CD because I, too, wanted to be able to listen to his music whenever I wanted. He's one of those artists that will come on shuffle that I never skip. I'm always in the mood for one of his songs. Rest in peace Tom. Thank you for everything.
This one’s for you, @TomPetty. pic.twitter.com/OMUwJOnAgS— Florida Gators (@FloridaGators) October 7, 2017
Listening to: 'The Heart of It' with Estee Lalonde You probably know Estee from her YouTube channel. I was introduced her via my friend Antonia who is a super makeup guru. Even though I'm not super makeup girl I still enjoy Estee and her whole vibe. I was super pumped to try out her podcast. Each episode is fairly short, only about 30-40 minutes, and is about a specific topic. So far she's had episodes on protesting, tattoos, makeup, and feminism. I like the structure of the podcast. She talks by herself for a bit and then always has a guest to interview. If you've got long drives or just looking for something new to listen to give it a shot.
Reading: Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann. I started reading it on the plane ride to Massachusetts and was instantly hooked by the characters and of course the time period of post WWII NYC. These women are all so fascinating. Also the book was written in the 60s and holds up so well. I guess that's why it is a classic. I'm about 35% done according to my handy dandy Kindle but I'm hoping to finish it soon because I have a whole library of stuff I want to read before the year is done.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.