Dustin and I left for the airport around 6:15am. I foolishly thought that would give me plenty of drive time and what not. Traffic was a bitch. I should have known. The whole way to the airport I was stressed to the max. I finally got there around 7 with an hour and a half until my flight. I felt relief for only a second because when I walked into the airport and saw a sea of people my anxiety grew in my chest. I walked to the Spirit kiosk and got my ticket without any issues. Then I saw the security line and my anxiety intensified. We were beyond the roped part of the line. We were all the way off in some Disney store. I was panicking. (Side note: I hate feeling rushed. I hate being late. It's just who I am. It's why I get up at 5:45 am each morning just so I can take it easy before going to work and why I'm always early everywhere I go.) After about five minutes hanging off the map an MCO employee directed us to go on the other side because there was room. This line was still long but I was surrounded my ropes at least. They winded in a damn maze but I was closer than before. It was a slow process but I finally made it. I absolutely hate when people don't have their shit together before putting their belongings in the x-ray machine. Like unless this is your first time flying AND IT CAN'T BE EVERYONE's FIRST TIME then be prepared. Take the stuff out of your pockets! I went so far to even remove my shoes before it was my turn so I wouldn't waste anyone's time behind me trying to pry them off my feet. Then I get up their and the TSA guy was like "Ma'am you do not need to take off your shoes." WHAT THE HELL. I've had to take off my shoes every time since 9/11 and now shoes are ok?! When was this change? I threw them in the bin and walked through in my socks because it was way too much of a hassle to put my shoes back on. Whatever dude. I made it to my gate with even some time to spare. I finally started to relax. I chose an aisle seat because of extra leg room AND the ability to go pee whenever I want without bothering anyone. I sat next to a couple and I overheard the man say to the woman "This is perfect. At least you aren't sitting next to a basketball player." I am definitely not that! I started 'Valley of the Dolls' and read most of the flight. I've heard about this book forever but never actually picked it up until now. So far I'm really enjoying it.

We got into Hartford, Connecticut 20 minutes early. That pretty much never happens. So I found my way outside and waited for Hayley on a bench and enjoyed the cool air. While waiting an older gentlemen in a suit came up to me and said "Are you waiting for someone?" and I replied "Yes..." He said "Oh I am probably your driver." I looked at him and laughed and said "No, I'm waiting for my cousin." He walked away without any issue. He either was genuinely looking for someone to drive to their destination or I escaped being murdered. Maybe even both.
Hayley arrived soon after. We drove straight into Hayey's neck of the woods for lunch at Small Oven. It was the cutest little place. I got:
House Roasted Chicken, Honey, Yogurt, Currant, Merguez Spread, Aioli. With potato salad. 9.25.
And OMG was it the best. I legit cleared my plate. Sandwich and potato salad was gone! Also, Hayley and I shared a dessert which didn't make it very long either. So far I had only been in the Northeast a matter of hours and Hayley was knocking it out of the park.


We went back to her place and I of course bonded with my kitty cousin, Nubbin. Teenie was no where to be found. I was immediately worried by this but Hayley was calm and didn't seem too concerned. Eventually she texted her roommate, Emily, and Teenie was found hidden under the torn box spring under Emily's bed. Ha! Oh Teens!
We headed to Skinner State Park. It was such a pretty drive up. We parked and walked up around what looked to be an old house (and later found out it was an old hotel that first opened in 1851!). The view just comes out of nowhere. There are all these trees while you're driving up so you can't really see much but once you're at the summit you can see forever. We farted around taking pictures and petting stranger's dogs. On the way down the mounted we had to go super slow because their were hoards of teenagers walking in the road. It felt like a Walking Dead episode except none of them were zombies so yeah not like that show at all.
Next we went to Flavors for ice cream. Hayley had never been before either so it was fun to get to experience it together. She got chocolate peanut butter and I got cookie dough. It was delicious! Something I noticed about Mass. is they don't mess around with ice cream. There were little ice cream shops EVERYWHERE. I'm such a sweets freak that if I lived up there it would be my life's mission to go to each one. We took in the scenery of the farm and the cows and chickens as we ate our ice cream.
Whole Foods who? Trader Joe's huh? Atkins Farms is where it's at. There are two locations in the Amherst area and Hayley is so great because she took me to both. Location number one just screamed "FALL!" with their pumpkins and flowers and Halloween decor. I was intrigued. Inside is even cuter if you can believe it. They sell just about everything and I believe it is all local. Is that right Hayley? I bought Massachusetts maple syrup that was too big to take back home on the place so Hayley is going to ship it to me. Ha! Atkins and Hayley also introduced me to their famous cider donuts.
We were on our way to Connecticut to watch Hayley's boyfriend, Stephen, in his cyclocross race. So we figured we'd bring a little picnic of assorted items to enjoy during the race. We bought donuts, pierogis, the biggest grapes in all of the world, and cheese and crackers. Hayley took some back roads to get to the race which was nice because I got to see a lot of cool stuff. Just about every porch had pumpkins on it (so cute) and just about every house had a barnstar. I didn't know their was an official name for those but there is. You're welcome.




We got to the Thompson Speedway and parked in the press/media parking. We are neither press or media (aren't they the same thing?) but we decided it was a great place to park. We walked to Stephen's tent and I got to meet him for a minute. Then we met up with one of their friends and the three of us walked around and watched the women's race that was already in progress. This was a totally new world for me. I had no idea how big this sport was. There were so many tents set up and family and friends and photographer's and so on. It was pretty cool shit. The track was part pavement, part grass, and part other kinds of obstacles. It was intense, at least for this newbie. I give them all so much credit! Damn.
As the sun went down the temperature dropped to the 50s. Poor Hayley was freezing but I was chill as ever. I was just coming off of not having power for 4 days thanks to Irma so the cold air was welcome. It felt good. Real good. Also I was pumped I got to wear flannel and boots! I might never get to wear that combo again this year because FL is so uncooperative with the whole season thing.
My first Cyclocross experience was really cool.
Hayley and I never made it back to her car for our picnic so by the time we were leaving we were starting to get hungry. We snacked on grapes and when we went to stop for gas we came across a very nice mall. We both had to pee so we decided to do so in their Macy's. Then we ventured further and went to Auntie Anne's for lemonade and a pretzel. We finished our mall adventure with a stop by Forever 21. Hayley and I could barely find anything we thought was remotely cute. Forever 21 has really gone out there with it's fashion choices. Hayley came to the conclusion that she needed to start "Forever 31" (when you're still young but not THAT young) and I could not agree with her more. So when you see a Forever 31 pop up near you just remember you read it here first!
It took about an hour to get back to her house. Her roommate, Emily, and her girlfriend Katie were still up and we all just hung out at their dining room table and had a late night picnic. It was perfect and just so delish after such a fun long day. Emily and Katie asked us about our day and what we did. When we told them about Skinner Mountain Katie told me about Mountain Day which is a tradition at her alma mater Mount Holyoke. Mountain Day always happens in the fall but the date is unknown until the bell rings which alerts students that classes are cancelled. The tradition is to climb to the Summit House at the top of Mount Holyoke and eat ice cream. Mountain Day sounds like the best day ever. I thought it was such a cool thing AND THEN Katie posted on her Facebook that this year's Mountain Day was this past Tuesday. I couldn't help but be really excited for everyone up there. It was like I was in on the secret.
Day one was amazingly exhausting in the most satisfying way.


























No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.