I made it over to Sam's mom's house by 5:45. I'm glad I got there a little early so we could hang the banner I made and accessorize. I contributed custom made tattoos but Martha bought a lot of other tattoos as well, along with giant fake diamond rings, glow-in-the-dark bracelets, and beaded necklaces. It didn't take very long for the house to fill up and just like that we were all boarding the "party bus" to go pick up Sam as a surprise. Surprised she was!
We headed downtown in the shitty weather. I mean, I love some rain 99% of the time but when you have to be out in it it's the absolute worst. Being in a bus full of 17 other people that I really don't know (aside from Sam's mom and a mutual childhood friend) gave me lots of anxiety. It was just absolutely overwhelming for this introvert. I got through it for Sam but it was just not my scene. I'm much better around smaller groups of people I don't know. I do not feel comfortable in a bus full.
There were some streets that were blocked off which meant we had to walk a couple blocks (in the rain) to Hamburger Mary's. Of course I forgot my umbrella at Martha's house. Oh well. The huge group piled inside but they weren't seating anyone yet even though we had a reservation. We all had to stand next to the bar which would've been fine if there weren't so many of us. But it was cramped and again I was starting to feel a bit panicky.
I felt much better once we sat down at our table. It took forever for them to take our order but once we got the food it was pretty damn good. Other than knowing that we were going to be watching a drag queens, I had no idea what to expect. I had never been there before even though I know it's kind of famous among the Orlando crowds. Leigh Shannon is the main drag queen and then there were 3 others that performed. Leigh Shannon started talking to the crowd making inappropriate but hilarious joke after the next at the audience member's expense. Somehow she started talking to Sam which was great until she moved to Pat's mom which got pretty crazy! I mean, it was all in good fun but you could certainly feel the awkward embarrassment. Ha! Then when she was done talking to the crowd one of the other ladies would perform a pop song. It was a highly entertaining show and I certainly had fun.
By the time the show was over it was after 10:30 and I was done. I was exhausted and ready for bed. But I couldn't just leave so we all sleepily watched Sam open her many presents (mostly lingerie). I had one cupcake and a swig of punch and was out the door. I'm old and I don't care.
I'm so happy Sam had a great time. That's what that night was all about. Success!


















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.