FRIDAY: We got a new TV. A little backstory...the TV in our bedroom has had one panel out for the last 6 months. So anytime we watch ANYTHING on it there is a big chunk of the show or movie missing and instead there's just a lot of rainbow colors. Not fun. But to be fair it was the first TV we ever bought as a couple when we first moved in together back in 2006. So that problem mixed with the fact Dustin wanted a bigger TV for the living room anyway was the perfect reason to get one. I came home from work and Dustin had everything all set up. New TV in place, old(er) TV in our bedroom, and our half-broken TV was taken away by the Best Buy guys. First of all the new TV is huge. 60" huge. Bigger isn't always better but in this case it is. Also the TV swivels!! I mean, I doubt we'll ever use that feature but still pretty cool if I ever wanted to watch something from the kitchen. And our older TV in the bedroom is also so nice! It's bigger than the half-broken TV we had in there previously AND all panels are in working order. We love our TV. We love shows, movies, & video games so it's important to us. Also, we got one hell of a deal.
I ate dinner and hung out until 6:30 when it was time to meet up with my friends for a night of ice skating at RDV. We tried to go ice skating about a year ago but unfortunately public skate was cancelled due to hockey games. We ended up going rollerskating instead. So back in February I suggested we try the whole ice skating thing again. It's extremely hard to get everyone together so our event kept getting pushed back. But finally it was upon us! I met up with Michelle and Josh and we got to lacing up our skates. I was a tad nervous just because I hadn't been ice skating since high school. Rollerblading is like riding a bike to me but ice skating is a little tougher.
Of course Josh and Michelle just stepped onto the ice like they were some kind of ice skating Olympians! I held the wall and carefully stepped onto the rink. I stayed near the wall for half of my first lap. Josh and Michelle could have done laps around me but they waited patiently. HA! Michelle said to me "You have the skills, you just need to work on the confidence." She could not have been more right. The less I paid attention to the fears in my head the better I got. It only took a couple times around for me to skate with ease away from the wall. It was a small but exciting victory. We skated around and then Kevin and Cami joined us. Cami even skated backwards! Very impressive stuff. And then later on Jennifer got in on the fun. We'd skate around then take a break on the bench which was kind of awesome. There were some really awesome skaters out on the ice. I'd just sit on the bench in awe. I mean, there was a little girl skating on one foot. There were teenage boys doing all kinds of tricks. The ice was the best right after it got zambonied. But the more skating that was had, the harder it was because of all the grooves and chunks missing. Even so, I didn't fall once! Sure, there were some close calls that were followed by a few screams but I always recovered.
We were just wrapping up the night when something awful happened. I was skating around when I noticed an ice medic tending to someone who had fallen. It took a few seconds for me to realize that it was Jen! She had hurt her shoulder/arm so bad that she couldn't even get up. Finally, she was helped off the ice. We could all tell she was in some serious pain. She eventually was loaded into an ambulance. I was told she had dislocated her shoulder but she was in so much pain she was having a hard time talking so I'm still not sure exactly what happened and what she had injured. Thankfully I received a text a couple hours later that she was fine! Whew! So glad she wasn't seriously injured but still that sucked and was pretty scary.
Update: I texted Michelle today to see how Jen was doing. Apparently the pain isn't nearly as bad but she will need surgery. Ugh!
Update: I texted Michelle today to see how Jen was doing. Apparently the pain isn't nearly as bad but she will need surgery. Ugh!







SATURDAY: I got up early and had my oil changed. I hate doing shit like that but it must be done and I rather get it out of the way early. Of course they suggested I get some filters replaced and what not so I plan on doing that next weekend since I don't think they have been replaced since I got my car. Ughh. I spent the rest of the morning cleaning our house. It was a highly productive day already and it wasn't even 11AM.
Since Dustin's birthday fell on a boring ol' Thursday this year I had asked our friends if they wanted to get together for lunch, ice cream and a game of Cards Against Humanity on Saturday. Everyone was in. The party officially began when the Benton's arrived at our house. The four of us then met Sam and Pat at Graffiti Junktion. I hadn't been there in a good 6 months and never to their new Longwood location. We all enjoyed appetizers and big juicy burgers. My cheese head was right on point! We were all too stuffed for ice cream so we headed back to our place to be terrible awful people and play Cards Against Humanity. Oh man! I wish I could go into detail about the game but I'll just keep it between the six of us. Hot cheese. Dump sesh. And so on.
I showed Rachelle and Sam some of my pillow covers I have been working on while the boys did boy things. Then before heading off to get some Jeremiah's I helped Sam put her new Tardis decal on her car. I got it for her as a birthday present a few weeks ago so I was more than happy to help. It came out awesome! Now she'll be nerding around town like me!
We arrived at Jeremiah's two by two. It was like Noah's Ark except with people. And cars. We rolled up in the parking lot like a damn car club. Each car was staggered. We didn't even do it on purpose. Ha! Before ordering, I noticed the girls had a Harry Potter tip jar. They sure know how to get the nerds. I gave them almost a 100% tip. Dustin and I grabbed our usual (cafe latte gelati with vanilla soft serve). Pat got the biggest chocolate soft serve cone I've ever seen. It was almost as big as he is. Once Rachelle and Matt were done ordering we all headed around back to sit at one of their picnic tables. Sam opted for a sub since she didn't eat much at Graffiti. We tried to wait for her before eating our ice cream but they were melting fast. Finally Sam joined us and we all continued with weird/hilarious conversation.
It was such a fun day filled with great friends. We don't get to see them nearly enough but when we do it's like not a day has passed. I think that's the measure of a good friendship. Also, laughs. The more laughs the better.
Dustin and I went home all pumped up from such a refreshing day. We continued to be pumped up while watching the Pens in their second playoff game. They started out strong but in the end they just kind of shit their pants. And lost. Regardless, Dustin and I reflected on what a fun time we had. He thanked me for a great birthday week which made me smile from ear to ear.
Since Dustin's birthday fell on a boring ol' Thursday this year I had asked our friends if they wanted to get together for lunch, ice cream and a game of Cards Against Humanity on Saturday. Everyone was in. The party officially began when the Benton's arrived at our house. The four of us then met Sam and Pat at Graffiti Junktion. I hadn't been there in a good 6 months and never to their new Longwood location. We all enjoyed appetizers and big juicy burgers. My cheese head was right on point! We were all too stuffed for ice cream so we headed back to our place to be terrible awful people and play Cards Against Humanity. Oh man! I wish I could go into detail about the game but I'll just keep it between the six of us. Hot cheese. Dump sesh. And so on.
I showed Rachelle and Sam some of my pillow covers I have been working on while the boys did boy things. Then before heading off to get some Jeremiah's I helped Sam put her new Tardis decal on her car. I got it for her as a birthday present a few weeks ago so I was more than happy to help. It came out awesome! Now she'll be nerding around town like me!
We arrived at Jeremiah's two by two. It was like Noah's Ark except with people. And cars. We rolled up in the parking lot like a damn car club. Each car was staggered. We didn't even do it on purpose. Ha! Before ordering, I noticed the girls had a Harry Potter tip jar. They sure know how to get the nerds. I gave them almost a 100% tip. Dustin and I grabbed our usual (cafe latte gelati with vanilla soft serve). Pat got the biggest chocolate soft serve cone I've ever seen. It was almost as big as he is. Once Rachelle and Matt were done ordering we all headed around back to sit at one of their picnic tables. Sam opted for a sub since she didn't eat much at Graffiti. We tried to wait for her before eating our ice cream but they were melting fast. Finally Sam joined us and we all continued with weird/hilarious conversation.
It was such a fun day filled with great friends. We don't get to see them nearly enough but when we do it's like not a day has passed. I think that's the measure of a good friendship. Also, laughs. The more laughs the better.
Dustin and I went home all pumped up from such a refreshing day. We continued to be pumped up while watching the Pens in their second playoff game. They started out strong but in the end they just kind of shit their pants. And lost. Regardless, Dustin and I reflected on what a fun time we had. He thanked me for a great birthday week which made me smile from ear to ear.




























SUNDAY: I think Easter is the worst holiday for adults, unless you have kids, but I don't - therefore the worst. I mean, I'm not religious so I don't care about any of that. I don't have children to hide eggs and buy Easter baskets for. And I stopped receiving my own Easter basket when I was 14. Oh and those people inside bunny costumes at the mall that sit there like Santa to take photos with children are the CREEPIEST. Just hand a kid a live bunny to hold for a photo. So much cuter! I've seen a flood of the creepy bunny costume photos on Facebook over the past couple weeks and I have to hide every single post because NO. They all just remind me of Donnie Darko and then I have nightmares. Dustin and I have no family (or at least no family that wants to get together) which means we have no Easter brunches or lunches or dinners to attend. So for someone like me, Easter is just another day. Nothing special at all.
I do miss coloring eggs because I love a good craft project. Maybe next year. And also I'm happy when I see Cadbury eggs in the store. But other than that this holiday just doesn't do it for me.
And the whole 4/20 thing? Well, I'm sure you can just guess how I feel about that. I think it's ridiculous to celebrate a drug - legal or not.
Our Sunday was quiet as they usually are. We didn't step foot outside. I napped. Dustin video gamed. I watched movies. Dustin watched other movies. Then we watched GoT and Naked and Afraid together. All in all a wonderful day.
I didn't realize how much I needed a weekend like this until it was already said and done. There's just something about hanging out with a good group of people or even just one awesome person that makes you feel alive and rejuvenated.
And the whole 4/20 thing? Well, I'm sure you can just guess how I feel about that. I think it's ridiculous to celebrate a drug - legal or not.
Our Sunday was quiet as they usually are. We didn't step foot outside. I napped. Dustin video gamed. I watched movies. Dustin watched other movies. Then we watched GoT and Naked and Afraid together. All in all a wonderful day.
I didn't realize how much I needed a weekend like this until it was already said and done. There's just something about hanging out with a good group of people or even just one awesome person that makes you feel alive and rejuvenated.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.