I've always wanted to start a shop but I never did. The idea was a nice thought but actually doing it kind of scared the shit out of me. Ok, really scared the shit out of me. All these what ifs filled my head and I talked myself out of it time and time again. At the beginning of 2014 I made a goal to open an etsy shop within the year. While life was busy breaking my heart and kicking me around I dived into sewing. And almost every night after work I would sit there hard at work with ideas swimming around my brain. This year (at least so far) has not been my favorite but sewing and crafting in general have really helped me.
Our guest bedroom started overflowing with pillows and Dustin kept asking "Are you ever going to put these on Etsy?" and I would reply "I'm not ready yet."
Dustin kept gently nudging me to put my pillow covers on Etsy. He'd text me shop name ideas throughout the day and if I liked them I'd put them on the list. He was reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut when he thought of the name 'So It Goes' but spelled it 'Sew It Goes". It was my favorite name he came up with but Etsy has been around for awhile now and of course the name was already taken. Back to the drawing board. Actually, the next few we came up with were already in use. But then I got to thinking about why I started doing this. It was in part because I had all this fabric I had collected over the years that were just sitting in plastic tubs unused. I didn't want to throw them out or even give them away. I also had a stack of shirts from myself and Dustin that I thought would make really cool pillows. I usually just drop them off at goodwill but I just knew these shirts were going to be something different. And of course I'd never seen shirt pillows before which made me want to try it even more so. I've always been sentimental about things that matter to me. I always will be.
adjective
1.
expressive of or appealing to sentiment, especially the tender emotions and feelings, as love, pity, ornostalgia: a sentimental song. via Dictionary.com
And the autumn part is easy to explain. Autumn is my middle name (and also the best season). It will also always be a part of me. I ran the name by Dustin and he liked it too. Thankfully, it was not in use and now it's mine.
I never thought starting an Etsy shop would be easy. I'm not that naive. But damn, I never thought it was so hard. I mean, there is making the actual product, then there is taking photos of it, and then posting it and pricing it and getting the word out there. It's a lot. I give everyone who has ever done it and/or is still doing it so much credit! You all rock! So make sure to give anyone you know with an Etsy shop or any shop really - a high five!
I don't know what will become of this new adventure. Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. Even if it's not "successful" it doesn't even matter. I set a goal and I've accomplished it. I'm proud of myself for what I've done and that's something that can't be taken away. I'd obviously love to sell the things I've poured my heart and time into. And sure extra money would be nice but mostly I'm just having fun. If it ever stops being fun then that's when I'll take a step back. But for now, it's full steam ahead.
I applied to be a vendor at the Big Bang Bazaar which will be held on Saturday, August 9th. I was shocked and excited that they accepted my application earlier this week! This will be my first show ever! It's a little overwhelming and nerve wracking but I'm ready to give it my all. At the show, I'll have pillow covers WITH INSERTS available as well as some ceramics (ring holders, vases, etc.) from Dustin's grandma's shop in West Virginia. She sent a huge box down to us a few weeks ago and although I would love to put them on Etsy, I'm too scared they would break during the shipping process. I know August is still awhile away but make sure and put it on your calendars now. I'll send reminders as the event gets closer.
Big Bang Bazaar Facebook and Website
Please like my Facebook page to receive updates. I'll of course be writing about things on my blog here and there but my Facebook page will be the main source of information. I really appreciate any and all support!
The Sentimental Autumn Facebook and Etsy
Thank you to all my friends who have liked, shared, and commented on my Facebook page and shop already. You guys are all kinds of awesome! Last but not least, I wouldn't have made it this far if it weren't for Dustin helping and encouraging me along the way. He's had so many great suggestions that I've implemented into some of my creations. It was his idea to also sell some of his grandma's ceramics. (Thank you grandma Dee!) AND he offered to help out at the Big Bang Bazaar. He makes my life so much fun and his support makes things a million times easier. Wait. Do you hear that? I think it's the orchestra playing me off the stage.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.