I remember Katie telling me months back that her brother and sister-in-law were expecting a baby. She was beyond excited. Obviously she is a proud aunt but it was so much more than that. It was so sweet to see her so excited for this new little family member. Every other day she would send me photos of all the cute things she had purchased for her new soon-to-be niece.
Then she asked if I would make a quilt for her niece. Of course! She gave me a shirt of her fathers to include in the quilt so Harper would have something of her grandfather. She may never get to meet him but Katie and her family are doing such a great job keeping him alive in other ways. I felt so much pressure to make this quilt the best ever. I measured about a million times before cutting her dad's shirt. I wanted to preserve it the best I could and there were no do overs. I didn't have any fabric that I felt was suitable for the vibe I felt they were going for so I went to my local fabric store and found an assortment of fat quarters that matched enough but didn't at all at the same time. I feel like once sewn together all of the patterns and the punches of the solid coral color just really come to life. The best thing is that I framed Katie's dad's shirt. So I made something new out of something old. Something from one person passed down to the next.
I was overjoyed when I saw Katie's snaps of her brother and sister-in-law's reaction. They really seemed to love it. I hope they do. I hope little Harper does. Congrats to all of you. She's being born into so much love.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.