Friday, November 11, 2016

#NOTMYPRESIDENT


I felt nervous the entire election day but the good kind. The excited kind. I wanted it to be over like the rest of the country. Dustin and I invited Pat over to watch the coverage. The three of us ate burritos and Oreos while nervously watching Trump take this state and Clinton that state. For a while it was all fun and games but then shit started getting real. Pat ended up leaving around 10. At this point it didn't look good for Clinton but there was still hope. Dustin and I moved to our bedroom to continue to watch the results. Once it was confirmed that Trump won Florida I knew it was over. I turned over and went to sleep. 

I woke up at 4 am to pee. When I got back in bed I reached for my phone with utter dread. With just a couple taps of my finger I confirmed what I already knew. Donald Trump was indeed our next President. I just sat there next to Dustin snoring in complete disbelief. I didn't want to be awake but I couldn't fall asleep. So I just laid wide awake in our bed and cried. 

I cried for all of the women and girls. 
I cried for everyone with a different color skin than mine.
I cried for LGBTQ. 
I cried for all of the disabled. 
I cried for America. 

How could hate win? Love trumps hate yet hate still won. I will never in a million years understand those who voted for a man that encourages hate and violence. A man who was endorsed by the fucking KKK. A man who has no respect for women. A man who is a fucking reality show host. A man who has ZERO political experience but tons of experience in bankruptcy. I could go on but I'd be here until I was 80. 

I finally fell asleep around 5:15 am. I woke up to my alarm clock hoping it had all been a bad dream. A cruel joke. An April Fool's day shenanigan. This is real. This is happening. How bizarre. How truly fucking frightening. I just imagine the rest of the world laughing at us because let's face it, we are an absolute joke right now. 

I was a Bernie supporter through and through. I wasn't the biggest fan of Hillary and there were certainly a lot of questionable things that she's been behind. But she didn't scare me like Trump scares me. Maybe that's naive of me but it's the truth. She has been in politics most her adult life so she knows how things work. She's a shitty politician just like every other politician. I rather keep going with shitty politician than Trump. That's just me. 

I have had anxiety and this sinking feeling ever since Tuesday night. I hope it will eventually go away because I can't let this effect my health and well being but at the same time I can't stop fighting. I'm with all of you. I am on the right side of history. The side of love. It's going to be an uphill battle but I still believe love Trumps hate. Even better love WILL Trump hate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.