Sunday, July 16, 2017

De Leon Springs

The Benton family and us do all kinds of things together but one of my favorite things is going to different springs with them. We've been to Rock Springs, Wekiwa Springs, Alexander Springs, Blue Springs, and now we can all check off De Leon Springs! When figuring out which springs to visit this time around we had to figure in Addilyn who is only a year and a half. Rachelle wanted to go somewhere with a beach or area for kids since she's not interested in hanging out in a float. 

Dustin and I were super pumped to try out De Leon Springs since we had never been there before. I have heard about the Sugar Mill restaurant (which is located inside the park) for years and years but had never been. I have heard "horror" stories of a 3 hour wait time which is not my thing. I'm too impatient for that. But this restaurant is on list after list of must eats in Florida so they must be doing something right. 

We all planned to get there right when it opened at 8am to get into the restaurant and enjoy some swimming before it got too crowded. Dustin and I left at 7 am on the dot and got there about 7:45am. There was already a line of cars wrapped around the park and going back down a side street. The springs are serious business. The line started to move around 8 but we didn't even get parked until 8:15. This is the only springs that we've been to that has been this hard to get into. It was $6.00 to get into the park and there was a sign that said "CASH TO MAKE THE LINE GO FASTER" so I whipped out a 20. 

Dustin and I got a prime parking spot inside. Matt and Rachelle were deeper into the line so we figured we'd get out and walk around while we waited for them to arrive. We found the Sugar Mill restaurant and they put our name down. They wouldn't seat us until our whole party was there so we had to wait.

Once the Benton's arrived we met them in the parking lot and all walked back down to the restaurant together. They said the wait was 30 min. even after putting our name down previously. That place fills up quick! They said they would call us on the loud speaker so we headed back outside. I hadn't put on sunscreen yet so I went back to the car to grab it since we were going to be outside earlier than I thought. As I was walking back I heard them calling us. 30 minutes ended up being not even 10! Score! Later Rachelle told me they said "Ashley part of 4 and a half" which I thought was cute - Dilyn being the half. Ha!

They are known for their pancakes so all of us except Rachelle ordered those. Rachelle got their french toast to share with Dilyn. Dustin and I got eggs too! They bring you batter for the pancakes (multi-grain and regular) along with the eggs. Any meat (bacon, sausage, etc.) is cooked in the back and brought out later. 

My job was to pam the griddle because if you know me at all you know that I only can cook a PB&J and mac-n-cheese. Dustin made all of my pancakes to perfection. I've got to say they were some of the best I had ever had. He also made my eggs which gave me anxiety because they just started to run all over the place but he got them under control and again they were delish!

A couple things to note about the Sugar Mill restaurant is there isn't air-conditioning but there are lots of fans. So if you're only going for breakfast I would suggest going in the cooler months (Nov-Mar). It gets pretty warm when the griddle is turned on but there are fans and the windows are open so at least there is that. Plus we jumped into the water immediately after so it was the perfect way to cool off. 

The park has so much to offer! Aside from the restaurant and swimming area there are places to kayak, paddle boats, and even a boat tour. We just stuck with the pancaking and swimming this time around. 

After breakfast we went back to our cars and got all of our crap. We found a nice little shady spot to put it all and then headed to the kid side where it wasn't as deep. Dustin was the bravest of us all and just fell backwards into the water. I, too, jumped right in. About 3 minutes in and Addilyn had pooped her pants. Ha! So while they went to the car for a diaper change Dustin and I moved onto the deeper end and added the donut float. Matt and Dustin got suited up aka put on their goggles and fins and went to go see what all the divers were looking at. Turns out there's a big hole of darkness which is kind of terrifying to me. They said the divers were kicking up so much stuff it made the water murky and all they could see were some fallen trees. Bummer! Rachelle and I hung out with Addilyn near the steps. Rachelle was trying to get her to show me all she has learned in her swimming lessons but the water was too cold. She did pretty good though flipping on her back and she did a little swim to me! I was still pretty impressed being she is only a year and a half. 

It was such a nice little springs day. I'm hoping we can fit in one or two more before it cools down. Who am I kidding, it never cools down! We can spring it up until Christmas. 

IMG_4064 IMG_4063 IMG_4065 IMG_4071

IMG_4069

IMG_4072

IMG_4075 IMG_4076

IMG_4078

IMG_4084

IMG_4086

IMG_4087 IMG_4089

IMG_4091

IMG_4100

IMG_4102 IMG_4107

IMG_4105

IMG_4106

IMG_4109

IMG_4110 IMG_4135

IMG_4111

IMG_4113

IMG_4115

IMG_4119

IMG_4120

IMG_4124

IMG_4127

IMG_4143

IMG_4144

IMG_4148

IMG_4150

IMG_4161 IMG_4163

IMG_4169

IMG_4175

IMG_4178

IMG_4182 IMG_4183 IMG_4185 IMG_4204

IMG_4187

IMG_4215

IMG_4221

IMG_4225 IMG_4229

IMG_4249

IMG_4257

IMG_4259 IMG_4261

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.