Sunday, January 12, 2020

Holidaze: Welcome to the Shitshow

In recent years we've all done our own thing for Thanksgiving but still all come together for Christmas. This year Hayley and Stephen were able to be in Florida for Thanksgiving but not Christmas. Dustin and I didn't want to miss out on a visit with them so we switched things up and Thanksgiving became Thanksmas.

But then Hayley was able to make it down last minute and everyone celebrated Christmas in Gainesville per usual. Since Christmas was smack dab in the middle of the week and I couldn't take any time off (got to save that PTO) Dustin and I decided to just stick with our original plan of having Christmas by ourselves. We've had probably a handful of holidays where it's just us two, just our little family, and I have to say I do enjoy it. I did miss spending Christmas in Gainesville but I'm happy that my FOMO was less prominent than usual and didn't push me into pushing myself too far physically and emotionally. Sometimes self care is just doing nothing and being ok with that nothing.

Dustin and I got up early and made orange rolls (aka cinnamon rolls but with orange topping). We watched the Disney parade and made fun of all the hosts. We watched movies and by early afternoon we feasted hard on artichoke dip and ham and cheese sliders on Hawaiian rolls. It didn't feel like Christmas but it was still a really nice stress-free day off.

I Facetimed with the rest of the Shitshow and it was hilarious as always.

Backstory: Last year I gave my aunt a tea towel for the kitchen that says "Welcome To The Shitshow" so now we all lovingly call our family that. I mean, it is pretty damn fitting. 

IMG_0011

IMG_4941 IMG_0019 IMG_5259

IMG_0027

IMG_5258 IMG_5253 IMG_0026

IMG_0028 IMG_0032

IMG_0015

IMG_5262 IMG_5254

IMG_0047

The Friday after Christmas I met up with the Shitshow for a quick little lunch at the ol' Cheesecake Factory. My aunt Sarah had brought Hayley down for her flight out of MCO and my mom brought Marie to join us. I thankfully was allowed to take a long lunch from work and there we were. We all gathered and discussed an array of topics from Bumby being closed and the chaos that came with it to all the family secrets. Marie sipped on her Pina Colada and my mom flung butter across the table and it was all great. It was nice to spend time with everyone even for just a quick while.  But I still feel bad for our poor waitress. GOOD LAWD. 

IMG_0033

IMG_5321 IMG_5311 IMG_5312

IMG_5305

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.