When my grandmother died in 2002, I remember it knocking my world over. It was my first real experience with losing someone I had been close to. Her memorial service was my first as well. And although I was sad and missed her, her death changed something in me for the better. I didn't take everything for granted and I slowly started to let go of people who brought me down.
When I think back to my childhood, I can't help but think about my grandparents. They were a huge part of it. I saw them at least once a week until I was in high school. And now that my grandfather is gone, it's a weird feeling. It's what he wanted and I don't blame him, but it's still weird that he isn't here any more.
He wasn't someone I confided my deepest secrets to. We didn't even hang out that much alone. We were not terribly close. But he has always been around. Always there. Every holiday. Every birthday. He sent me a card for my birthday every year, even after my grandma was gone.
He was our crazy Grandad.
I thank him for every cavity he filled of mine and that tooth he pulled to help with my braces. I remember going over to his old office and pretending the light that he shined in people's mouths was a microphone. It's also because of him that my teeth are straight. He obviously had dental connections and my mouth is forever grateful.
He and my grandmother paid for me to take karate with my friends for my entire year of 7th grade because my mom couldn't afford it.
He's the reason I got to go to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Denver and Colorado Springs. I'll never forget him driving us through the Hollywood hills with it's super windy roads. He was an awful driver to begin with so the hills were not helping matters. But I had these hiccups that wouldn't go away but then his driving scared me so much they just stopped. My cousin, aunt and I had a good laugh over that!
The man loved Costco. He bought everything from there. He even used to take my cousin and I there (whenever she was in town) for pizza. Ha!
He let Dustin and I get married in his backyard. He even wore a purple dress shirt and tie on our wedding day to match all the purple decor.
He loved Dr. Pepper.
He loved listening to and playing classical music. I remember getting into his car multiple times and jumping because Beethoven was playing so loudly. This was probably due to the fact he was hard of hearing. Ha! And oh the memories of my cousins and I going to town trying to pump his organ (the instrument) in their family room. He also had a piano and I would pretend I actually knew how to play.
Every time I stayed the night with him and my grandma they would watch Jeopardy. As a kid I thought it was the most boring show in the world but now I get it.
What a life he had!
It's strange to think that both my maternal grandparents are gone forever and how our parents are getting older, and so are we. Life is crazy. So is death.
It reminds of that John Mayer song 'No Such Thing'
And all of our parents
They're getting older
I wonder if they've wished for anything better
While in their memories
Tiny tragedies
























No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.