School Dress Code
I've read at least five different cases where teenagers/young women were sent home from school or work due to their outfit. I immediately thought back to my school days and distinctly remember my middle school dress code. We were not allowed flip flops or any sandal without a back. If we lifted our arms over our head and our stomach showed, then we were in dress code violation. If we put our arms to the side and touched skin, we were also in violation. The only rule I kind of (almost) broke was the no tank top/"spaghetti strap" rule. But I never once got in trouble. I dressed really tame in middle school. Actually I'd say most of the student population did. There were always that one girl or guy who always wanted to push the limits but I don't remember them ever being sent home. They were always just given a shirt or new pants to wear the rest of the day along with detention. Now in high school things were a lot more lenient. I thought I was so cool when I showed up to my first day of freshman year in flip flops! So cool until someone stepped on the back of one causing me to walk out of it and making me almost lose it entirely in the stampede of teens. But I still wore them. Because I could. Because I like them. Again, I never pushed the dress code limit. I was never that girl who wanted to show off a lot of skin. I'm still not. This brings me to the case where a Kentucky girl was sent home for showing her collarbone. HER COLLARBONE. There's also the recent news story about the girl with a badass leopard haircut who was sent home from school because of it. And then of course the ex-JCPenney employee who was sent home for her outfit that she actually bought from JCPenney. I believe a reasonable dress code is necessary and just part of life when it comes to school and work. Reasonable being the key word. How is a collarbone offensive or too revealing? It's not. Neither are shorts or a tank top. The argument that any of these clothing choices distracts the male population is absolutely insane. Why don't we teach our boys respect instead of shaming these girls for no reason? I strongly believe in teenagers being able to express themselves in creative ways. If they want to grow their hair long, or shave it off, or color it purple, then they should be able to. Hell, adults should be able to too. I do understand that certain workplaces aren't as flexible here but a surprising amount do support your personal expression and I absolutely applaud those places. The JCPenney incident was where my opinion fell on the border. On one side of things the girl did buy the clothes from JCPenney's business section but on the other hand I don't find shorts and a tank top appropriate for that kind of job. Was the outfit inappropriate? Not at all. But I don't feel like it was suited for that specific store. Some jobs you are allowed to wear shorts and some you aren't. I get her frustration to a degree but I feel like she handled it like a brat. To just up and quit over something like this is pretty immature. But to each her own.
Oregon Shooting
I was just as heartbroken and disgusted as every single American to hear that yet another (school) shooting had occurred. Another shooting period is one too many. I absolutely hate that this has become apart of American culture. I hate that nothing is being done. Because like President Obama said, thoughts and prayers are not enough. When are we going to actually take responsibility? When are we going to actually change some laws? When are we going to stop this bullshit? I do not like guns. At all. I don't get America's obsession with them. I don't get why so many assholes want to hurt innocent people. I don't get why everyone keeps screaming the second amendment. I don't get any of it quite frankly.
I don't know the shooter's name and I'd prefer to keep it that way. The spotlight should remain on the victims, the heroes.
Oregon Shooting
I was just as heartbroken and disgusted as every single American to hear that yet another (school) shooting had occurred. Another shooting period is one too many. I absolutely hate that this has become apart of American culture. I hate that nothing is being done. Because like President Obama said, thoughts and prayers are not enough. When are we going to actually take responsibility? When are we going to actually change some laws? When are we going to stop this bullshit? I do not like guns. At all. I don't get America's obsession with them. I don't get why so many assholes want to hurt innocent people. I don't get why everyone keeps screaming the second amendment. I don't get any of it quite frankly.
I don't know the shooter's name and I'd prefer to keep it that way. The spotlight should remain on the victims, the heroes.
I wish every conservative who whines about explaining gay marriage to their kid would tell me how to explain mass shootings to mine.
— Marla Caceres (@MarlaCaceres) October 1, 2015
Another mass shooting. Another gun control debate. Another nothing getting resolved. Another things go back to normal. Another mass shooting
— Brandon Calvillo (@BJCalvillo) October 1, 2015
I wish that they wouldn't publish the names and images of these mass murderers. They don't deserve to be known or remembered.
— Steve Carell (@SteveCarell) October 2, 2015


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.