Monday, April 10, 2017

Currently

Feeling: Pumped! This weekend and next are jam packed with so much goodness and I can't wait to get the party started. First things first though. Saturday I am going to get a new tattoo...or should I say cattoo. Meow. From there we are going to meet Pat and the Benton Family for some good ol' rock shrimp for an early birthday celebration for Dustin. Ink and eats, what could be better?!

Thinking about:Rude people. Inconsiderate people. The younger generation. 

Now I don't want to be cliche like my elders before me with the whole "in my day" nonsense. I also don't want to group together the younger millennials. I will just say this...

I am so over the "coolness" of breaking plans. I keep seeing meme after meme about how someone is breaking plans with someone and they somehow come off as some weird cartoon hero. NO. That's just rude. I am someone who believes only real excuses are plan-breakers. Here are a couple from my list: car broke down, you're actually sick (and not just your stomach kind of hurt 5 minutes ago but you're not sure if you're going to make it sick), or family emergency especially when it comes to kids. That's it. "I got home and already took my bra off" is not a reason to cancel. Why is this younger generation so obsessed with being a flake? And more importantly why is everyone OK with it? Of course people have to cancel here and there but when the same person cancels every time we make plans I'm going to take it as a hint and stop asking them to hang out. I've read in various articles that the youth of the world is always looking for something better so everything is a "maybe" and only turns into a "yes" when nothing else comes along. That's some bullshit right there. I really hate maybes. Even as a kid I would cringe and roll my eyes any time my mom answered a question with a maybe. How hard is a yes or a no?! This new generation baffles me with their text only relationships and constantly canceled plans. It's as if they don't have any desire to make a real connection with another human being. 

Watching


13 Reasons Why - The minute this show was released on Netflix everyone went wild. I remember Katie telling me about the book before but I never had gotten around to reading it. For a whole day I had an internal struggle - should I read the book first? I have this weird thing where I can only read the book BEFORE seeing the movie/show. I can never do it the other way around. I don't know why but I've accepted this weirdness and moved on. I wanted to dive into the show but I decided to read the book instead. The book was incredible as I knew it would be. It was heart-breaking and real and I could see pieces of myself in so many of the characters back in my teenage years and even now. I really believe it should be required reading for high schoolers. It it a book about suicide, yes, but it's also about so much more. The book for me was a good reminder of how words and actions, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can have a deep impact on others. Fast forward to starting the show over the weekend. I love the actors especially Hannah Baker who reminds me of Natalie Portman which is a high compliment. But seriously the cast is great. The show on the other hand isn't as great as I had hoped. I'm only about half way through and already am annoyed by a few things. (Silly side note: Why are all the "teenagers" tatted up? These kids are supposed to be in high school. I mean, this is kind of dumb but it's been bothering me.) They have added so much into the show and a lot of it just seems like filler. All the extra just takes away from Hannah's character and her experiences. I'm enjoying the show but, yes, the book was better. 


First Date -  I haven't been watching a ton of reality TV as of late but when I heard about this show I got very interested. It's produced by Ellen Degeneres and narrated by Drew Barrymore and it seemed somewhat genuine. Basically singles take some sort of questionnaire and are matched up. They meet at a restaurant in Chicago and their first date gets filmed. I cried over the older couple on the first episode. Like crocodile tears. I'm a sap. Not only is it sweet but it's also crazy as hell as you can imagine.

Listening to: I'm enjoying Bleachers' new poppy 80s sounding single. I love all that Dustin Kensrue comes out with but his covers are something seriously special.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.