Thursday, August 24, 2017

Vanbarry's Public House

PART ONE

Last week Chasity and Jessica got some of the two biggest homebodies (here's pointing to myself and Antonia) to go out on a week night. Ed was enjoying his bachelor party in the form of a concert at Amway so the girls thought it would be a good idea to take Antonia out so she wasn't just twiddling her fingers at home. Ha! It was Jessica's idea to go to Vanbarry's. I had never even heard of the place but I was game! 

I followed her and Antonia straight from work. We took 417, 408, and I-4 and hit ZERO traffic. I know that is just super boring information but the fact that we drove for 30 minutes in Orlando at 5pm and didn't have to go brake crazy is something to document. We got a table and settled in with a fresh jar of their delicious pickles. Chasity arrived not too long after and the four of us could really get this party started.

First of all Vanbarry's is cute as hell. They have a covered outdoor space out front which I'm sure is wonderful from December - March. They have a giant swan outside (more on that later) along with a giant Connect Four game. Inside was just as snazzy. They have TVs everywhere so it's a great place to catch a game. I think it might have been some kind of old auto establishment since they have the big roll up doors still in place. There's a lot going on but it all marries very well. 

We started with some chips and queso per Jessica's suggestion and OH MY GOD was it delicious. We were all kind of bummed when we started to see the bottom of the bowl. But we still had our main dish to look forward to. I ordered there 'Going Back to Cali' aka a turkey sandwich with bacon, sprouts, tomato, and cream fucking cheese. It was everything. Also I got it with french fries which were fantastic and I'm very picky about my fries. Antonia and Chasity both got the boneless braised short rib bowl which I'm pretty sure I will be trying next time I go. It came with a giant onion ring on top. Um, yes please. Jessica got one of their fancy taco selections. We were in food heaven. 

It was so nice to get together with these girls outside of work. I am making it my mission in life to make sure it's a regular thing. I'll even go on another week day - THAT's how much fun I had. 

As we were leaving I asked if we could all take a photo inside of the giant swan. They are all super sweet and totally obliged. I asked a random waiter to take the photos. He took a bunch and 99% of them were blurry and or one of us were moving but then there was the one where we all shined! Ha! Seriously, I was like YAS! 

Let's swan it up again ladies!

Untitled  Untitled

IMG_4895 IMG_4896

IMG_4893

IMG_4891

IMG_4897

IMG_4902

PART TWO

When I came home from my girls nights I told Dustin how much he'd like Vanbarry's. He started looking at the menu and was like "Let's go this weekend!". So Saturday morning we picked up Pat on our way to Disney Springs. VIP Thrice tickets were going on sale at 10am at the box office. The only way you could purchase these fancy ass tickets was over the phone OR in person. We opted to pay in person because the whole credit-card-over-the-phone kind of freaks us all out. So we arrived at 9:50 and waited 10 minutes for the box office to open. We were then able to purchase three SEATS. They are of course more than the regular tickets but being able to sit down at HOB is worth every penny. I've been to probably 20 shows at HOB and every time I've been since I was 16 I've always had to stand. You stand and wait for the opening band. Then you keep standing while they break down the instruments and set up the new ones. And on and on until you leave feeling like you're 95. Well now that we ARE 95 it was time to get some goddamn seats. We basically skipped out of Disney Springs because we felt so bad ass. I mean, we don't have to wait in line or "find a good spot" or worry about some doofus blocking our view.

It was way too fucking hot to stay in Disney Springs for any longer than we had to so we got the hell out of there and were on our way to Vanbarry's. EXCEPT I missed the first I-4 turn. (The construction is confusing OK! Get off my back.) Then once we made it on I-4 we got stuck in some gnarly fucking traffic. We saw smoke ahead but I didn't think that smoke was coming from I-4. Oh how wrong I was. After inching along for 30 minutes we finally got to see what the hell was going on. Somehow the front part of a semi was smoking and I don't mean smoking out of the engine. Half of the front cab had melted. MELTED. So crazy!

We made it to Vanbarry's before noon and it was completely dead which was fantastic. We opted for a booth. I noticed the wall of board games from my new perspective and thought it was the coolest. Next time I go, with whomever, we need to jump on that board game wagon. Pat and I ate the pickles. I, too, made everyone try the queso appetizer and the boys were immediately hooked. 

Dustin got a their buffalo chicken sandwich and then proceeded to tell me later it was "the best buffalo chicken sandwich" he'd ever had. When Dustin compliments your food it counts double because he's Mr. Picky. I was so pumped he and Pat liked it too. It was a perfect little early lunch.

So I hit up this damn place twice in 3 days which should be endorsement enough. It's on the south side of downtown so it's a bit out of the way but some things are worth the drive. 


IMG_5008 IMG_5012

IMG_5013

IMG_5014

IMG_5016

IMG_5017

IMG_5019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.