Dustin came with me to the appointment which automatically set me more at ease. They took me right back, took my weight, had me sign a form, and then I got comfortable on the exam table. Dustin sat in the chair next to me while we both watched the nurse get all of the instruments ready. The minute I saw a needle I looked away. The less I see the better!
My regular doctor doesn't perform nexplanon insertions so another doctor in the office did it. He was very nice and tried to make small talk while he was getting the needle full of numbing shit ready. He told me to lay down and bend my arm next to me in an L shape. I looked the opposite direction and squeezed Dustin's hand as he numbed my arm. It stung quite a bit but thankfully didn't last long.
Then with no wait time at all he just started unwrapping the nexplanon device. And just like that he was done. He asked me to hold the cotton over my arm while he got a couple steri-strips and a bandaid. The minute he was done putting the bandaid on I started to feel lightheaded. I told the doctor and Dustin I was going to pass out. He told me to lay down. But then just seconds later I told them I was going to throw up. The doctor grabbed the trashcan and he and Dustin held it up for me while I threw up. Then I played back down as the doctor ran out of the room to get some ice. He gave me ice and I put it behind my neck and just laid there for a little while. He told me to take my time and there was no rush leaving the room. So Dustin just hung out with me while I tried to regain my strength. He of course made me laugh which helped speed up the process.
I got through the whole damn procedure like a champ and I pass out/vomit when it's over? What in the hell is wrong with me?
On the way home we stopped by Wawa where Dustin got me a banana bread muffin and an apple juice. It was the perfect little treat to get me to 100% so I could go back to work.
I was of course super paranoid the whole day. I didn't want to move my left arm in fear the device might pop out or the bandaid would come off and I'd just bleed out at my desk. I'm very dramatic about this kind of stuff. I'm not sure if you could tell or not. I made it through the day like a champ.
Per my doctor's instructions I was to change the bandage 24 hours later. I did not want to do it by myself because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it so my trusty husband was by my side as a back up. I slowly took off the bandaid. I'm fine. Then I take off one steri-strip and blood starts dripping down my arm. I AM NOT FINE. I start to pass out while sitting on the toilet. Dustin had to grab me as I slid off. He quickly took off both stern-strips cleaned it off and put new ones on. The whole time I was sliding off the toilet and I honestly don't remember much of the whole ordeal. He helped me get into bed, brought me a vomit bucket, and an ice pack and then we proceeded to watch Blank Check.
What a fucking night to say the least.
The following day I took off the bandage entirely and it scabbed up. I had a little bruise but other than that I was just fine. Things were healing as they should be until Sunday hit. That's when a rash started to appear. I went out and bought benadryl and hydrocortisone cream since I couldn't call the doctor. The rash was still there the following day so I emailed the office. They said to keep using the hydrocortisone cream 3x daily for a few days and to let them know if it continues or gets worse. Well it would get a little better and then it would come back. So by the end of the week I called them and was all like "Should I be worried about my arm falling off? Umm maybe I should come in so you can see what the hell is going on." The nurse said she'd get with the doctor and call me back. So all day I waited while envisioning my arm turning out like Harry's did when Professor Lockhart tried to "fit" it during that Quidditch game his second year at Hogwarts. You know the one. Finally she said the doctor wants me to continue with the hydrocortisone and doesn't need me to come in unless it changes drastically. I feel like my drastic and his drastic probably aren't the same but I kept on with the cream. And by golly it fucking worked. I am 98% rash free as of right now. All I have is a small scar of where the nexplanon was inserted which will fade in time too.
So I got through it. My body never just lets me ease through shit. It's got to be a fucking diva about it.
I'll do a follow up post once I've had it in a few months to go over any other issues that may arise. Fingers crossed there are no other issues and I can just be BFFs with this little stick in my arm for the next 3 years while being able to have sex without getting pregnant. That's the dream!
By the way I made Dustin take this picture of me lying on the table. It was just before we left the room so I was feeling better. He's like "What? Why?" and I'm like "FOR THE BLOG!". He rolled his eyes and said "Give me your damn phone".





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.