Friday, September 1, 2017

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO

So as everyone knows Taylor's social media platforms went "dark" aka the profiles remained but the contents were gone. We all knew something was about to happen. Then Monday the first video was released and as far as I could tell it was a snake or a dragon tail. The next day another piece of the video revealed it was most definitely a snake. On Wednesday the snake head was posted along with EVERYTHING ELSE.


I was in my car talking on the phone to Dustin when it happened. I started freaking out and told him I had to go because I was just too excited to even think let alone talk to someone. I texted everyone. I snapped everyone. I posted that shit on Instagram. I was incredibly obnoxious about it but in a very endearing way. (I hope.)

Thursday night finally rolled around and it took everything in me to stay awake until this damn song was released. Dustin tried going to bed but then got caught up in Tay-Fever too. Not really, he just couldn't go to sleep with my salt lamp on and I didn't want to turn it off because it was helping me stay up. So we shot the shit on our phones until I got a notification on my phone that the song was available on iTunes. I bought that shit and listened to it right away.

Dustin and I laid there with the glow of the salt lamp and took it in. The part where she talks totally made me giddy. The old Taylor is dead but the new one lives on! I loved it right away. Dustin didn't like it at all and proceeded to tell me so only minutes after I heard it which really pissed me off. I don't really care he doesn't like the song but he was totally shitting on my parade and I was not about to just take it. He was also the first one I heard mention the chorus had the same beat as "I'm Too Sexy". I didn't hear it then or the next day. I kind of can hear it now but both songs are so different that it's super subtle. Also Right Said Fred has a credit on the song which means they allowed Taylor to use a sample of it. So it really is there but, again, it doesn't jump out at me. Dustin did however really like the lyric video. Finally he gave me something!


I texted the link to everyone whether they cared or not. I wanted them to listen and love it like me. Except that totally wasn't the case. Two of my bestest friends (Ahem Katie and Erin - LOL) were just ehh about it. WHAT?! Thankfully I had some fellow Swifties at work that were just as excited as me to talk to and we squealed together about it. I mean, I totally get not everyone is going to like it and that even means "my people". Oh well. You win some you lose some.

I played that shit on repeat the whole way to work the next day. Just over and over. Hell, it's been a week since it's been out and I'm still playing it ALL OF THE TIME much to Dustin's chagrin. The way I describe it to everyone is it's edgy pop. Also I love that there are so many different elements in the song much like LORDE's new stuff. I like that it's different. Had she come out with a country song or a 1989ish song everyone would've been "She's not being creative" blah blah blah.

When 'Shake It Off' was released as the first single for 1989 three years ago I was like "Ok this is cute and catchy" but as soon as the whole album came out it quickly became my least favorite song of 1989. There are so many other better songs on that album. If that's the case with reputation than HOT DAMN! I don't doubt for a second it will be good. She puts a lot of time and thought into everything she does especially her music. Also she's been through a lot since her last album came out and I'm so ready to hear it in song form.

Dustin and I watched the VMAs until Game of Thrones came on last Sunday. I thought for sure Taylor's new video would be toward the end but wouldn't you know it they played it within the first 30 minutes of that dumb show. When it came on I was all kinds of freaking out (as seen in my snapchat footage below).


Every website on the planet has already broken the video and/or song down in great detail which I AM LIVING FOR BY THE WAY. (See links below!) I loved the video and all the shade thrown around but I especially loved all of the old Taylor's making an appearance. Like that was just genius as hell. And not only did they show up but the end scene where they are all talking to each other was perfection. No one makes fun of Taylor better than Taylor.




There are some people who are all "Why is she bringing up the past?" and "Can't she just get over it?" but Kanye brought it back up last year. He's clearly not "over it". Katy came out with a song recently about her and she has every right to. Calvin did too. But Taylor gets all the shit? COME ON. So this is Taylor's take on things. Every story has three sides right? I love that she writes about her experiences. I love that she never tells her fans or the media who each song is about. We are all just assuming we know. Maybe we're right maybe we're not. She lets the songs speak for themselves and I love her for it. 

Haters gonna hate hate hate but I love her so much. She just seems like one of the most genuine celebrities out there. She doesn't take herself too seriously and she's smart as hell. She shows emotion and feelings and gets ripped to shreds for it. Keep doing you girl. November 10th can't come soon enough.


IMG_5158 IMG_5221

IMG_5168

IMG_5459 IMG_5307 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.