I grew up on Lunchables and Kid Cuisine. My mom rarely ever cooked so I was forced to just eat what was there and usually it was junk food. Delicious glorious junk food. Hot Pockets! Kool-Aid! PopTarts! Cheez Balls! Fruit Roll-Ups! Go-gurt! Spaghettios! Juicy-Juice! Dunkaroos! Tostinos! Capri Sun! And the list goes on and on and on. If it was terrible for you, tasted phenomenal, and made in the 90s, then I consumed it.
I only really got nutritional meals at my grandparent's house where everything was cooked from scratch and there was always a vegetable or fruit present. Grandma was going to make sure all food groups were covered. She also made sure we only ever ate dinner at the table, together. She taught me how to set the table and even the proper side each utensil goes on. Don't ask me now because I'd fail miserably. The only thing I remember is the blade of the knife always faces toward the plate.
Dustin used to love commenting on how bland I ate most everything when we first got together. He introduced me to a little thing called spices and seasoning. Ha! The one thing about me is I will try any food once. I'm up to try whatever, but the minute I know I hate it, I'm never touching it again. Dustin cracked the gates of my food journey but no one has single-handedly opened up my food palette quite like Gaya has. I have tried so many new things in her company and at her insistence - sushi, sea-urchin (never again!), boba , non-spicy Indian food (Bombay Street Kitchen), Filipino ice cream (Samguita), Japanese ice cream (Wafu), Japanese Mochi Donuts (Dochi), Thai sandwiches and brick toast (Krungthep), baos (Hawkers), etc. Orlando has become a foodie town and I lucked out on befriending head foodie herself.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.