Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vacation: Day One (10/24)

I tossed and turned all night. I was too anxious to really get any sleep. I was worse than a kid on Christmas Eve. So I woke before my alarm even went off and started to get ready to head out. Today was the day. FINALLY. This was the moment Dustin and I had been dreaming and romanticizing about for months and months.

I packed some last minute things in our bags. Flight info? Check! Steeler tickets? Check! Rental info? Check! Camera/Flip? Check. We did a walk through around the house to make sure everything was turned off. We said goodbye to Bane and we were out the door, on our way.

We stopped by Target to so Dustin could buy the book 'World War Z' but they didn't have it so we went across the street to BAM. They of course had it and we hit the road. Straight shot to the airport. 

Since our flights both going out and coming back were smack in the middle of the day, no one was available to take us or pick us up. We decided the easiest thing was to just leave my car at the airport parking lot. This was something neither of us had ever done so we weren't quite sure how it really worked. We pulled in, grabbed a ticket and found a spot. We wheeled our luggage to the shuttle stop and didn't even have to wait a minute before it pulled up. The driver helped us with our luggage and gave us a little slip so we could remember which area we parked in. (How convenient! Ha.) The airport is only about a mile away but there are lots of stops, twists and turns. Our driver was the craziest of all drivers. Ever. In. EXISTENCE. I kept telling Dustin how sick I was starting to feel from being jerked all over the place. He held my hand and assured me it would be over soon. Not soon enough. 

Once we made it, I was feeling nauseated and light headed. Thanks asshole. 

We didn't have to wait at the airline kiosk at all. So we were able to grab our tickets and be on our way.  We hopped in the dreaded security line and waited. Moved an inch. And waited some more. Dustin and I were directed to go into different lines. My line was pretty easy. I piled all my shit on the conveyer belt, including my shoes, and zipped right on through. I strained to see Dustin but couldn't see him in the other line. I stood there and while I was trying to put my ID back in my purse, my luggage fell right on my toe. I tried to look tough but damn did that shit hurt. I focused on looking for Dustin, hoping that the pain would subside momentarily. I spotted him and immediately could see his annoyance all over his face. He was forced to go through the heavy duty metal detector. Security at OIA is always such a pain in the ass but we made it.

We still had over an hour before our flight took off so we decided to grab some food. I had a lovely slice of banana nut bread from Starbucks and Dustin opted for Sbarro's pizza. Then we sat and waited for everyone to get off our plane so we could start boarding.

Untitled

I'm not really great with the take-off and landing of plane rides. However, I'm as cool as a cucumber during the middle of the flight. Dustin let me claw his arm as we climbed through the air. Once the seatbelt light went off and the drinks and pretzels started coming, I lightened up. I listened to TSwift for most of the flight, while playing Bejeweled. Dustin read. I of course had to pee in the middle of the flight and when I told Dustin he responded with "Are you really going to wake that poor man up?". I did feel bad but I also had to go. What were my options?! Dustin suggested waiting until one of the flight attendants came around for the first trash pick-up. It worked! I didn't have to wake him and I got to go empty my bladder. Winning.

Untitled

Untitled 

Dustin and I were so anxious to get off the plane and REALLY get this vacation going. But of course everyone in front of us took their sweet ass time. How difficult is it to grab your bag and go? I mean, seriously.

The minute we walked into the Pittsburgh airport a rush of memories came back to me. The last time we were here, we had just gotten married. And now two and a half years later, here we are, coming back, enjoying life. We walked pass Franco Harris and took the escalator pass the T-Rex just like last time. I smiled the whole time. Just happy to be doing this again. Happy to be with Dustin in a city he loves. In a city that I now love too. 

We picked up our rental (a fancy brand new Ford Escape). It was super nice but it had way too many gadgets. It was straight out of the Jetsons. It took us 10 minutes just to get the A/C working properly. Yeah, it was pretty damn hot upon arrival. 80s! I didn't think it got this warm up north during this time of year. I was wrong.

Untitled Untitled

On the drive to Dustin's grandparent's house (about 30 min away) I enjoyed all of the yellow, red and orange trees. It was all so pretty. I have never been up anywhere north during the Fall so this whole changing-of-the-leaves thing was a new experience. It's probably something northerners don't even look twice at anymore but this Floridian appreciated every single leaf. 

Also, I'm always amazed by driving through mountains. The ups and downs, twists and turns. It's a straight, flat shot to anywhere in Florida so it wasn't something my stomach was used to. The highway to Weirton is weird too. The speed limit is only 60 mph or so. Us Floridians are used to doing 80 mph down I-4/I-95. It wasn't a big deal but something Dustin and I both noticed. 

It's neat watching Dustin navigate through town. A town he grew up in but has only been to once in the past 10 years. He knew exactly where to go. It's weird what your brain holds on to when you are back in a familiar place. 

Howard and Dee (aka Grandma and Pap) were waiting at the kitchen table for us. They greeted us with smiles and hugs. It was a really warm welcome. We carried our luggage upstairs to our room and returned to the kitchen to sit and talk for awhile before Miranda made her way over with Cash. And then Melissa.

Cash was of course running around like a wild dog. He was just so excited he didn't know what to do. Eventually, he just jumped in my lap and I got some long overdo nephew bonding time.

Untitled

IMG_9991 Untitled
Untitled

Untitled
(M's shirt says "West Fuckin' Virginia". Ha!)

After we visited with everyone for awhile, we headed out for the first (hopefully) annual 'Bud Meet-Up'. Dustin plays hockey online with a bunch of guys who all love the Penguins. Most of them live in or around Pittsburgh but a few are states away - like us. One bud even traveled from Texas for the meet-up (amongst other things like various football games). The original plan was for everyone to go to a Pens game at the Consol Energy Center but that didn't pan out thanks to the NHL lockout. Plan B was to meet-up at Buffalo Wild Wings in Robinson. We were told by Dustin's family that BWW was "right next to the mall" but we couldn't find it. So we decided to follow the directions from my iPhone map. Turns out it was not by the mall at all which caused us to be 15 minutes late like a bunch of losers. Womp womp. We walked in and we were immediately flagged down by everyone sitting at the table. Dustin went around and greeted all of his friends that he's known for years but has never actually met face-to-face. It's weird to think about it like that. But it's how he and I started. (Mutual friend on myspace turned into AIM conversations to all nighter phone calls and eventually us meeting about a month later and the rest is history.) The internet/xbox live is so cool. You get to meet people that you probably would have never known otherwise. Even though we are all so spread out, they are apart of our lives and us apart of theirs. They are Dustin's buds. One big bud family. All of the guys were so nice to me. They all hugged me or shook my hand and I felt like an honorary bud for the night. It was a night full of drinks, food, laughing until my cheeks hurt and lots of high fives from Brady. Bobby was shocked I had never seen the WoW freak-outs on YouTube so he pulled it up and I watched and laughed. And laughed some more. WTF. Ha! I could tell Dustin felt right at home. He was really enjoying himself and I was too. Good times with great buds.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

IMG_7207

IMG_7208

IMG_7206

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.