Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Currently

Reading: Allegient by Veronica Roth - This is the third and final book in the Divergent series. I read a lot of reviews  before even starting it which was dumb but curiosity gets us all once in awhile. I didn't read any spoilers but the majority of the people did not like the way it ended. I'm 48% done and so far so good. (Now that I have my Kindle I always talk in percentages rather than page numbers. Weird.) I like that they have finally gone to the outside of the fence. I also like that there hasn't been any kind of love triangle! That's unheard of in the YA novel scene! The pace has been good and I'm anxious to see how it all wraps up. 

Dustin and I are still enjoying re-reading all seven Harry Potter books together. We're on 'The Order of the Phoenix' right now. We just started the I-must-not-tell-lies chapter. That damn Professor Umbridge still pisses me off after all these years. 

And speaking of Harry Potter that leads me to...

Annoyed by: this whole J.K. Rowling interview where she said that "Harry and Hermione would have made a better match." I'm not annoyed or angry with Rowling over what she said but more so how most of the fans reacted to it. She's the author and I feel like she can say whatever she wants about her work even if she has changed her mind about something. She's human people. Calm down. 

That being said, I see where she's coming from. I feel like Harry and Hermione would have been the likely pairing had someone else written the books. But I still think she made the right decision with Ron and Hermione. It's been clear from the beginning that there was just something between them and I'm glad that something turned into a full on relationship/marriage.  I like that they bicker and are complete opposites. It keeps them both on their toes. Harry and Hermione are too much alike to have any passionate relationship. 

The real problem is Harry and Ginny. I like Ginny and all but as a character she was really underdeveloped and kind of boring. She obviously has liked Harry from the beginning but it's hard to believe that Harry ever liked her more than a friend. I feel like that pairing was lazy.

But my opinions and even J.K. Rowling's "regrets" do not change anything. The books are finished and amazing. Sure we can nitpick them all day but I've always felt very satisfied about how things played out. 

Listening to: Lauren Aquilina! I had never even heard of her before last weekend. I just so happened to be wondering around iTunes when it suggested I listen to her. I did and now I'm hooked. I seriously have had her on a constant loop. Dustin even complimented her voice/songs but I'm sure he's sick of me blasting it around the house at this point. 



Here are a few of my favorite lyrics from the songs I've had on repeat:

Lilo (I actually had to look up what a "Lilo" was since I was pretty certain she wasn't referring to the Disney character. Apparently, the British use the term to refer to a float. Like for pools and what not. Interesting!)
Do I annoy you? Do I offend you with my words?
Do I bore you? Am I the worst thing you've ever heard?
Leave your mark, your black and blue bruises
Blood red scars, you were the one to choose this
We won't ever be


So push me on a lilo out to sea
Watch me float away never to be seen again

King
You've got it all,
You lost your mind in the sound,
There's so much more,
you can reclaim your crown.
You're in control
Rid of the monsters inside your head,
Put all your faults to bed
You can be King.

There's method in my madness,
There's no logic to your sadness
You don't gain a single thing from misery,
Take it from me.


Fools (I realize this song is about friends who develop romantic feelings for one another BUT the first part really struck a different chord for me.)
Those hardest to love need it most
I watched our bodies turn to ghosts
Such good friends, it has to end
it always does
That's the way life is


Watching: A new year means so many shows are back! I've been loving Downton Abbey as usual EVEN without Matthew which is surprising. I was so ready to hate it now that he is gone.  I think they've done a really good job showing Mary's grief and I'm enjoying all of her suitors but especially Lord Gillingham. Although, I hate that the babies are never around anyone but the damn nanny! It's so strange to me. It's like they aren't even part of their family.

Another Masterpiece Classic is back - SHERLOCK! Well, actually the season just started and already ended since each one is only three episodes long. I have read so many negative reviews of this past season which I don't get at all. I feel like this latest season is just as good as the previous ones. It's seriously one of my all time favorite shows. It's so smart, witty, and there are just enough twists to keep it interesting. I'm so sad it's over!  

I almost stopped watching GIRLS last season because it was just awful. I feel like the story lines and writing and the whole thing were just off. But this season I feel like they are back on track. Fingers crossed it keeps my attention.

That being said, I've stopped watching Hart of Dixie. It's been boring me to tears this season. I'm sad because I really loved it for the first two seasons. It just seems to me that every show on the CW is turning to shit these days. I think it was this time last year that I gave up on The Vampire Diaries too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.