Sunday, November 2, 2014

Currently

Dealing with: Not having a kitchen for the past week. It has been annoying. Obviously, first world annoying but still it hasn't been fun. You try not having a kitchen sink, stove/oven, and counter tops. It's hard! I'll write a full post about the whole thing once it's done.

Watching: I've been a movie watching machine lately. I mean, I'm always a movie watcher but there are some months where this just is nothing out that interests me. This was clearly not one of those months.

Edge of Tomorrow
Dustin and I meant to see this one in the theater but never did. It recently became available to rent on Xbox so we went for it. We both LOVED it. I thought it would be good but it was even better than that. It's a mix of 50 First Dates, Groundhogs Day, and Pacific Rim. Tom Cruise basically relives one day of a futuristic war and when he dies he wakes up and does it all over again. You'd think that would get really boring but it doesn't because each time is different enough to keep your attention. I thought the casting was great. I enjoy actor Tom Cruise (real life Tom Cruise not so much) and of course the lovely Emily Blunt.

Obvious Child
I know this one is all kinds of controversial which I really don't get. Movies often imitate life and abortion is part of this world. No matter your how you personally feel about it, it exists. I love that the makers of this movie took a risk and didn't go the usual adoption or last-minute-keep-it route. I love the realness of it. Women make all kinds of choices about their bodies and life and I think it was important to show this side of things too. Now I know that's a super heavy topic but the movie as a whole is funny. Jenny Slate (cracks me UP on Parks & Rec) is SO good, as is Gaby Hoffman (she's had some kind of revival lately!) So no, this movie isn't for everyone but if you have an open mind, give it a shot, it might surprise you.

Dallas Buyers Club
I wanted to see this ever since I heard the buzz and especially after all the Oscar wins. I'm well aware Oscar doesn't always equal a great movie but I do get more intrigued to see what all the fuss was about. To be honest, I didn't have much interest in this movie once I started it. Matthew McConaughey was great but Jared Leto was better. Jared deserved that Oscar 110%. It's a sad movie and depressing as it is about AIDS but it didn't move me the way others have. The Normal Heart was powerful and Philadelphia had be sobbing my eyes out. I can certainly appreciate the real life story and also the history behind the drugs used at the time but as a movie I didn't find it very entertaining.

Horns
Dustin and I watched this on Halloween night in our living room. Yeah, it's out in theaters but it's also available to rent on Xbox so we opted to stay home and watch while laying on our couch. I don't do horror/scary movies. I've seen all the classics of course and even some newer ones but it's not my thing and I'll avoid a scary movie if I can. But since Daniel Radcliffe was in this one I figured I'd give it a shot. Sure there were scary elements but it wasn't really a scary movie to me. Daniel Radcliffe with an American accent was super awesome! I know this isn't some Oscar worthy film but Daniel can fucking act. He played a character not like any I've seen him in. He was charming, funny, arrogant, desperate, and it was great to watch. I know the premise seems kind of silly but the movie actually did have a really interesting story. Dustin and I both enjoyed it a lot. Dustin has asked for horns for Christmas.

Reading: Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt - I just finished this book last night. I was sobbing during the last quarter of the book while Dustin was laying next to me watching football. I don't even know how to describe this book. I guess the easiest way is to say it's about a 14 year old girl who had a deep bond and love for her uncle who dies of AIDS at the beginning of the book and what happens the next few months after his death. It kind of reminded me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. June is very much an outsider and misunderstood by most around her. Even I, as the reader, couldn't figure her out but I wanted to try.

Thinking about: The fact that it is already November. Say what?! Once Halloween hits the year speeds by like a meteor in the sky. Before we know it we'll all be sitting down talking about what we're thankful for, then we'll be ripping open presents, and finally kissing our love as the clock rolls us into another year. I spend so much time thinking about well...time. It amazes me how slow it can feel but also how it sometimes can disappear into thin air.

Loving: This cool weather we're having in The Sunshine State. I've been wearing sweaters and tights and sweatshirts and socks and it's been so great! I can't believe it got down to 43 degrees last night! That's pretty rare for early November but I'll take it. This week is going to warm up to highs in the 70s which is just the perfect weather. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't beat a Florida winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.