About a month or so ago an old high school friend of mine posted an EventBrite link for RainbowRowell on my Facebook page. She and I follow one another on Goodreads which I'm so thankful for because I'm guessing that's how she knew I was a Rainbow fan. I couldn't believe Rainbow would not only be in Orlando but the event at the Downtown Public Library was completely free. I immediately snagged my ticket and asked my friend if I could tag along to the event with her. We have never been close friends, even in high school, but we've always kept in touch which is nice because we really do have so much in common. So that was the plan, I'd go by myself and meet up with her. I didn't even think to ask any of my friends because as far as I knew none of them were Rainbow fans (at least not yet).
So Sunday evening rolled around and as I was getting ready to go, I messaged my friend to see if she was still going. Unfortunately she told me she had decided not to. I was bummed but it didn't deter me in any way to not go myself. The thing is I don't mind going to (most) things alone. I'm not a super outgoing person by any stretch but I can hold my own around strangers if I have to. The only tricky part of the whole thing is that I do not feel comfortable walking alone downtown in the dark. It really is one of the disadvantages of being a woman. There's a fear that men will never understand. Of course Dustin would never let me even attempt to go by myself especially at night. So Dustin and I thought it would be best if he dropped me off at the door and then he'd find something to do for a few hours and come back and pick me up. That plan didn't exactly work out either.
I parallel parked my car right next to Lake Eola. Dustin got out to make sure I was in the lines. I wasn't. A guy walked by and said something to Dustin that I couldn't make out through the closed windows but I imagine it was something like "women drivers huh?" followed by an eye roll. I kept moving the car up and then back. Turning the wheel. Straightening the wheel. Then another guy started to talk to Dustin. This time I made out "My wife cried last time she tried to parallel park" in which Dustin responded "She's good. She's got it." And yeah it took maybe five minutes to get there but I did get it with the help of Dustin.
We walked to Orange Ave. in search of food but it was just bar after bar. Thankfully we came across Jimmy Johns and I got a turkey sub which I ate while waiting in line to the event. That's right, there was a fucking line. Us nerds know how to party! Dustin waited in the line with me even though I told him multiple times he could go. The event was sold out but they were giving out standby tickets in case some people didn't show. So Dustin got a standby ticket because he didn't want to leave me alone. I got my wristband and walked into the library with everyone else while Dustin waited in the standby line. I saved him a seat even though we were told not to save seats. But I had already made a story in my head that he was "just in the restroom". Ha! I waited for about 15 minutes and there he came walking down the aisle. My saved seat worked!
Rainbow Rowell and David Levithan (another author) took the stage at 6:30pm. They talked to the crowd a little bit before reading a chapter out of each of their new books. I loved their interaction with each other. They just were like two friends hanging out together which is exactly what was happening but I somehow felt like I was part of that inner friendship circle. Me and a couple hundred other people. They were just both so endearing, genuine, and charismatic. I loved that they cussed. I love that they referenced Harry Potter, Star Wars, and cassette tapes. They honestly just seemed like some really awesome down-to-Earth people. I laughed a lot! Dustin said it was like watching a Ted Talk and I kind of have to agree. After they read from their books they spent almost an hour answering the audiences questions. Questions like...
Will Rainbow write a sequel to Eleanor and Park? (She said she tried but her publisher told her not to. She also said if she ever did she would pick back up in their 30s).
What would they have been if they weren't authors? (Rainbow said she'd be some kind of creative director and David said a 5th grade teacher.)
I came for Rainbow and she turned me into an even bigger fan with her great personality. But it was a nice surprise when David won me over. I have of course heard of books he's written but I haven't read any of them. But just hearing him talk made me want to go crawl in a corner and read them all. And I will. Well, maybe not in a corner. But I'm such a fan of his now which is such a cool thing. It's like going to a show and actually enjoying the opening acts (which let's be real doesn't always happen). I kind of wanted to say to him "I'm so embarrassed and disappointed in myself I didn't know of you and more of your work before this event". Oh well, I do now.
I came for Rainbow and she turned me into an even bigger fan with her great personality. But it was a nice surprise when David won me over. I have of course heard of books he's written but I haven't read any of them. But just hearing him talk made me want to go crawl in a corner and read them all. And I will. Well, maybe not in a corner. But I'm such a fan of his now which is such a cool thing. It's like going to a show and actually enjoying the opening acts (which let's be real doesn't always happen). I kind of wanted to say to him "I'm so embarrassed and disappointed in myself I didn't know of you and more of your work before this event". Oh well, I do now.
I would have loved to video parts of their talk but we were told before hand not to. I love recording just about everything to store on my hard drive to look back fondly of but I fully respected their request. And the cool thing is I was much more present than I would have been without a phone in front of my face the whole time. Thankfully we were allowed to take photos so I did get to document to a degree. Ha!
After their discussion with the audience they went to the other side of the library for the signing. The library staff dismissed us row by row to go stand in line. Dustin and I waited about an hour. We were told that Rainbow and David both would personalize one book each and sign as many as we brought. I only brought one book. I didn't own any of Rainbow's book books. I have read (and loved) every single book she has written but they all live on my Kindle - no hard copies. So I bought Fangirl especially for this event. I was so torn though because I really love all of her books so choosing one to be signed was not easy. Some of the girls waiting in line had backpacks full of books. It was kind of crazy! I mean I get it to an extent but that's just a lot to carry around and a whole lot to sign.
Once it was finally my turn I walked up to the table and told her how excited I was to meet her. She was still so bubbly and cheerful when I would've understood if she had been pretty tired at that point. I told her the most cliche thing ever "I've read all your books. I loved them all! I'm currently in the middle of Carry On." She replied "I hope the streak continues!". I also told her to write whatever she wanted in my book. I think it's kind of weird when you tell an author or celebrity what to write. I rather it just be whatever they feel. After she signed my book she so kindly took a photo with me. The interaction was quick but so incredibly fun.
The night didn't go at all as originally planned but I just went with it because it actually turned out even better. As fine as I would've been going alone, I'm so happy and thankful Dustin decided to stay and keep me company. As in love as we still are, the heart of our relationship is friendship. Dustin is 100% my very best friend. I love that he supports me and my interests even when they aren't his own. It was fun sharing that experience with him. I mean if he hadn't gone who would've made fun of me the whole way home for totally nerding out? Dustin did and he always does it in a way that makes me crack up. We had the best time.
Thanks Dustin for always sticking by my side.
Thanks Rainbow for being even cooler than I thought.
And thanks David for opening me up to new books.
Once it was finally my turn I walked up to the table and told her how excited I was to meet her. She was still so bubbly and cheerful when I would've understood if she had been pretty tired at that point. I told her the most cliche thing ever "I've read all your books. I loved them all! I'm currently in the middle of Carry On." She replied "I hope the streak continues!". I also told her to write whatever she wanted in my book. I think it's kind of weird when you tell an author or celebrity what to write. I rather it just be whatever they feel. After she signed my book she so kindly took a photo with me. The interaction was quick but so incredibly fun.
The night didn't go at all as originally planned but I just went with it because it actually turned out even better. As fine as I would've been going alone, I'm so happy and thankful Dustin decided to stay and keep me company. As in love as we still are, the heart of our relationship is friendship. Dustin is 100% my very best friend. I love that he supports me and my interests even when they aren't his own. It was fun sharing that experience with him. I mean if he hadn't gone who would've made fun of me the whole way home for totally nerding out? Dustin did and he always does it in a way that makes me crack up. We had the best time.
Thanks Dustin for always sticking by my side.
Thanks Rainbow for being even cooler than I thought.
And thanks David for opening me up to new books.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.