Monday, November 23, 2015

Snail Mail My Email: Year Two

I signed up to volunteer again for Snail Mail My Email just as soon as I got word they were accepting submissions. I had such a blast last year that I was really looking forward to participating again. I knew pretty much what to expect so I stocked up on stamps and bought new colored paper. As silly as it sounds, I get really excited when I see the email pop up in my inbox. I just can't wait to read the letter, to see what the artwork request is, and of course what part of the world I'll be shipping it to. We all have different kinds of fun and this is 100% my kind.

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what to draw for the artwork. 3/4 letters I received had fairly specific requests which I tried to accommodate the best I could.

Letter 1: Frogs.
Letter 2: Nothing was requested so it was all my own interpretation.
Letter 3: Anything anime. Dustin drew the guy for me. Anime is not really in my artistic realm and since I wanted it to look awesome I asked Dustin to help. He can draw anything and everything so it worked great.
Letter 4: Literally everything was requested which I thought was pretty fun. Panda, churros, Twenty One Pilots, Nachos, Pizza, and Supernatural. Thankfully Nicole was able to help me with the Supernatural part of it. I don't watch the show so I wasn't sure what to do but Nicole sent me a few different symbols I could use. It was perfect! (Thanks again, girl!)

I have to admit I was pretty disappointed I only got four letters this time around. I was expecting a ton more since last year I did something like 18. But last year they also had to shut the project down 2 days early because there were so many requests. I'm thinking they probably added a lot more volunteers and each of us had a smaller load. That of course makes sense but I would've loved to do more.

I requested my own letter but it hasn't been delivered to the recipient yet. The organizers of the event tell everyone that they need to ship out their letters within a week of receiving it. Also, it could be coming from any part of the world so I won't be disappointed until it's mid December and the letter still hasn't arrived. I mean why volunteer if you aren't going to take it seriously? I hope it works out and everyone (including my requests) gets sent out to it's proper recipient.

Until next year!


Untitled Untitled Untitled IMG_7673

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.