Monday, May 23, 2016

Date Night: Amy Schumer

It was about a month ago that I got wind of Amy Schumer coming to town. I love Amy but I know Katie LOVES her. So I suggested we try and get tickets. Katie was totally on board and BAM next thing you know we were writing it on our matching Taylor Swift wall calendars. 

I had never been to any comedy show of any kind before this. I haven't even been to the Improv. So I was extra excited to experience my very first one. 

Katie and I both raced to my house after we got off work last Monday. Since she came from Deland I drove to the show. First we stopped for a fancy ass romantic dinner at the good ol' Chick-fil-a. We scarfed down some nuggets before heading out to the CFE Arena at UCF. Traffic was of course a nightmare which is to be expected all of the time in these parts but yet I'm still just as surprised and annoyed when it happens. We found parking very easily and made our way inside a good 30 minutes before the show was to start. We waited in the "Tequila Trainwreck" line so Katie could try her signature tour drink. I didn't taste it but it was a lovely shade of turquoise. I can certainly appreciate a pretty drink when I see one. 

The arena was freezing. I'm talking negative degrees, Elsa inspired, parka required kind of cold. I wore pants but my arms were nothing but little goosebumps the whole damn time. Side note: Who are the people who refer to them as "goose pimples"? I think we can all agree that just sounds ridiculous, right? Katie borrowed one of my cardigans from the backseat of my car and used it as a blanket over her legs. I was pissed I didn't grab my other one. (My backseat is a sea of cardigans.) We huddled up together and waited patiently for the show to start. But then 8:10pm came and nothing. And then 8:15. And finally a band started playing instrumental jazz music. Like I said before, I have never been to a comedy show so I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. They played for a good 15 minutes before the first opening act hit the stage. If I'm remembering it correctly there were 3 openers, all of which were pretty good. 

Then finally Amy came out and everyone went nuts. She made several jokes about her dress to start off with and then it flew by from there. She started out so strong. Like my face hurt from laughing kind of strong. The end wasn't as strong but it was still pretty damn good. Katie and I had the best time cracking up over one inappropriate joke after another. My only complaint was the girl behind me. She had the kind of laugh that would have been the focus of an entire Seinfeld episode. Like it was bad. It was very dry, monotone, and almost forced sounding. Katie and I just side eyed each other every time and by the time it was over we just had to laugh about the horrid laugh. 

We got back to the parking garage which was a nightmare. I should have known. The last two times I have been to the CFE Arena (Paramore with Dustin and FUN/Tegan & Sara with Erin) we waited for 30-60 min. trying to get out of the parking garage. This time was no different. By the time we made it to my car there was a line blocking us. I couldn't even back out so we were forced to just sit back and snapchat. Ha! After about 30 or so minutes of waiting, a bunch of cars started backing up and going the opposite direction in order to get out. I totally followed them and we were out in no time. UCF parking just sucks whether you're a student or there for an event. We got back to my house late and were both exhausted but still riding the fun we had earlier in the evening. Date night was a total success. 

Amy's Orlando video via her Instagram. 

IMG_1565 IMG_1573 IMG_1579

IMG_1574

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.