THURSDAY: Dustin and I met the property manager at our new place so we could FINALLY get the keys. We walked around to make sure all was in order. She went over how to work the gas stove with Dustin (since he's the one who will be using it the most!). We haven't used it yet but we're excited about it. Apparently gas is supposed to help save on electricity too! So score!
We brought two car loads of crap over each. It was a chilly night but we could hardly tell because we were running around so much.
FRIDAY: Dustin doesn't work on Fridays (yeah, I'm jealous too!) so while I was at work he was able to move more of our stuff into our new place. He even managed to haul our living room TV over all by himself. I think I'm married to the Hulk.
He also waited for the cable guy and then ran errands at the Post Office and Home Depot for me. If I hadn't just started a new job I would have totally taken the day off to help out with everything. But I'm so thankful he was such a good sport about it all. He was so helpful!
I was so anxious all day at work. I just wanted to get home so I could move more boxes/unpack. So I raced home, picked up some dinner and met up with Dustin at the new place. We ate our subs on a guitar hero box. Seriously fancy table! We were able to get the majority of all of the boxes and small items with multiple trips in both of our cars. We crashed at midnight.
SATURDAY: I got up really early and started organizing, more packing, and repeat. Dustin finally rolled out of bed around 8AM and helped me load our cars with even more shit. I don't know where all this shit comes from! There is a piece of glass on our coffee table. We thought it would be a good idea to take it over ourselves instead of letting the movers take it. Dustin tried gentling sliding it onto the passenger seat when it exploded. One second a huge piece of glass was in Dustin's hands and POOF it wasn't. I gasped in horror. My hands flew over my mouth and my eyes have never been so big. Dustin just looked at me with his mouth open in disbelief. I immediately asked him if he was alright. That was priority number one. Because from what I just witnessed, I thought for sure we'd be off to the emergency room. Thankfully Dustin was fine. A few small cuts on his hands but totally fine. He became very angry and rightfully so. Not only was the protective glass to our coffee table broken into a bazillion pieces BUT those pieces were all over Dustin and in every inch of his car. I managed to get the larger pieces out by using a CD and a dustpan. But there was still glass everywhere. In the seat, the floor board, every little crevice was filled with glass. Dustin was fuming by this point so I told him to take a moment and calm down. I then took his car to the carwash down the street and used one of those heavy duty vacuums. It took a long time but I got all of the pieces sucked up pretty easily. I drove home shaken. Mentally I felt drained but physically I could hardly pull myself together. I tried texting and my hands literally shook. I had no control over it. It was just all at once. Even though Dustin was ok and everything had been cleaned up I still felt incredibly traumatized. Obviously the whole situation could have been worse but the possibility of Dustin being hurt and the stress of moving just kind of collided inside of me. I was fine after lots of hugs from Dustin. But DAMN, what a crazy morning. It wasn't even 9 AM at that point.
The movers got there around 10 AM. They were nice and worked pretty fast. I cleaned our old house while Dustin directed them. It took exactly 2 hours for them to load and unload our furniture. After our furniture had been unloaded we made one last trip to our old house to pick up random cleaning supplies and get all of our food out of the refrigerator. I left our keys on the counter, took one last look, and shut the door. I drove out of the driveway for the last time and didn't think twice about it. I'm a very sentimental kind of person but I didn't have any ties to that house. It held our things and provided shelter, but it was never really home.
We spent the rest of the day unpacking and resting. We felt like we had aged 50 years in 48 hours. It was hard to sit down, hard to get up, and all we could do was complain about it. The muscles in my hands were sore. WTF. We went out to dinner with Sam and Pat because not only do we not really have much food but we certainly didn't feel like cooking. After dinner we went to Target so we could pick up some things. It was there that Dustin bought me a trash can. Not just ANY trash can but one of those fancy stainless steel trashcans. The ones that are ridiculously expensive but oh so worth it. Yeah, that one. The one I've wanted ever since we moved in together all those years ago. At first I thought he was joking when he put it into our cart. Then we got to the cash register and I offered to split it with him but he wouldn't let me. And that night as we were laying in bed together he said to me "I got that for you because I want you to know how much I appreciate you and I knew it would make you happy. I just want you to be happy." I know, I know it's only a fucking trash can but it also symbolizes that we've made it. I love it. I love Dustin for buying it for me. And I've really been enjoying throwing stuff away.
SUNDAY: It felt so good waking up in our new house. It's kind of hard to explain but it right. This is where we were supposed to be. After a year of looking I just felt like all the hard work we had put in finally paid off.
Dustin and I lounged around all morning still recovering. We caught up on our DVR and then moved on to 'How It's Made' while we waited for Melody to arrive.
It's always so exciting when she's in town. I only get to see her once a year and sometimes it's even less than that. But I swear it's like we're kids again the minute I open the door. She smiles and we both just start giggling. She was so sweet to bring us two little green baskets full of fresh strawberries and a small cast iron skillet. AND then she bought me lunch. I mean, come on! So nice but unnecessary. I enjoyed catching up on each other's lives. We talked of our hopes for our future and laughed about our past. She painted me pictures of her adventures with her words and it was like I was almost there. I've always admired her brave spirit to wonder, explore, and try new things. Also, she is such a inspiration artistically. She showed me these beautiful floral arrangements she did for a wedding and I was just blown away. She did all the floral arrangements at our wedding too so I knew she was good but I was still so impressed. She's amazing period. Our visit was short but so enjoyable. I can't wait until the next time I see her!
My fave floral arrangements of hers:












No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.