Thursday, February 28, 2013

February: Resolution

My original 2013 Resolution post.

Hair - I haven't cut it since January. But OMG is it annoying the shit out of me. I can't wait to chop it off. I have been seeing Julianne Hough on every talk show and her haircut taunts me because it's so incredibly cute.

AND Erin was THIS close to talking me into cutting my hair. I'm so weak! I almost caved. ALMOST.

Read a New Book - I finished TWO books this month. Count them, TWO! I am so excited because I was able to reach a goal and also because they were both so enjoyable.

1. Withering Tights - I first fell in love with Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicholson back in high school. I still re-read the whole series from time to time. It's one of those book series that literally (I sound like Chris Traeger!) make you laugh out loud while reading. Anyway, Withering Tights is about Georgia's cousin, Tallulah. She is equally as entertaining. It's one of those super girly, easy read, AWESOME kind of books. Every time I read about Georgia and now Tallulah I am reminded how amazing and awful being a teenager was!

2. The Silver Linings Playbook - I'll admit that I didn't even know this was a book. AND the only reason I was interested in the movie was because I think Jennifer Lawrence is so fantastic. But after I read this I really wanted to get my hands on the book. I downloaded it on my Kindle the same day. It only took me a few days to finish it. I couldn't put it down and I'm still kind of sad that it's over.

Give back - I had a $50 gift certificate to Outback. Our meal didn't cost that much so we told the waiter to put the balance of the card toward Pat and Sam's check. They tried to argue with us but when they realized we were serious they were grateful. I was very happy to help. Since our meal was free and our server was awesome (he brought me all the bread I could eat and then some AND gave me a new salad after I told him the thousand island dressing tasted weird) I gave him a 58% tip. I had been waiting for a moment like this to come up and I'm so glad it did. I hope he was surprised because he really deserved it.

I also was able to donate to TWO other good causes this month. Super happy about that!

Go to Yoga - FAIL. Womp womp.

Write a handwritten letter - I didn't write any full letter but I sent all my girls Valentine's Day cards IN THE MAIL.

Save - Not really. =/ Still trying to recover from all the moving expenses (deposit on gas, new things for our move, yadda yadda).

Travel - Nope.

Outside - Ran in a park instead of the gym. Strolled around a  Etsy Shop/Food Truck event and even walked to a coffee shop and sat outside! Strolled around Park Ave. in 86 degree weather. I feel like that one deserves a medal.

Less - I think I've said this a million times before but I love moving because it allows you to really go through shit. You look at your stuff differently when you have to lug box after box to a new place.

I had several boxes of books. About 1/3 of them were  from my childhood. And although most of them filled me with happiness and wonderful memories, I decided to donate them. The truth is, Dustin and I don't plan on ever having kids and I thought it was kind of a waste to keep these really good books in boxes. They should be flipped through and enjoyed by kids because that's their purpose. Not to be shoved up on some shelf collecting dust. I ended up keep a handful of my absolute faves. The ones that were the most sentimental. But the rest were donated to great friends/book drop.

Once I sorted through the children books, I went through the rest. There were some that I enjoyed but didn't want to keep because I knew I'd never read them again. Those were donated. There were some I'd never even opened. Those were also donated. And then there were the books that I just could never get rid of. My whole Harry Potter collection is proudly on display (along with some other books of ours) in our living room. But then there were some classics (Catcher in the Rye, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird) that I just didn't want to part with. I have found a temporary home for them in our guest bedroom. I hope to buy floating shelves eventually for their permanent home.

I'm just happy that we now have less stuff and that all of those books will be enjoyed all over again by someone new.

Inspired by Fleur de Moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.