Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Down With The Sickness

Last Tuesday I got to work and everything seemed normal until I got a tickle in my throat. You know the one. The one that makes you panic because it's 99% the start of an awful sickness. I tried to go about my day like it wasn't there but by lunch it was getting worse. So I ran over to Publix and got Airborne. By the end of the day my ears were on fire and my throat was extremely sore. I really thought I had an ear infection OR strep.

I woke up in even worse shape the following day and called in to work - or texted in to work as we do nowadays. Thankfully, my doctor's office was able to squeeze me in the day before a holiday. He told me my eardrums look healthy and that the pain must be from the pressure. When all was said and done he said I have a viral infection. He gave me a couple antibiotic prescriptions but said they really aren't going to help and told me I just had to tough it out. BUM-MER.

I was still able to enjoy Thanksgiving. Our only plans were to go pick up Boston Market. However, I did make green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole myself. I haven't lost my appetite at all but it's been hard to eat because every time I do my body throws itself into a coughing fit. If anything touches my throat EVEN AIR then it's all over. Thanksgiving night was probably the worst night of the whole ordeal. I woke up at 2AM and didn't fall back asleep until 4AM(ish). I was so miserable. I have woken up every night at 2AM since - either coughing or congested but always miserable.

So with the symptoms being as bad as they were and the fact that I wasn't really getting much sleep Dustin and I made the decision to postpone our Savannah trip. I was heartbroken over that. I had arranged for that trip back in summer and was really looking forward to it but I knew if we went I would be miserable and probably end up sick in a hotel room the entire time which is so not the point of going on vacation. We were able to cancel our original hotel with a full refund and found another hotel (actually the same one Erin and I stayed at last year) for around the same price so we booked it for this weekend! Whew!! So glad it worked out that way. Stupid viral infection ruining everything!

 It's now been over a week and I just slept through the night last night for the first time since Thanksgiving. I'm on my third BAG of cough drops and I've been through a bottle and a half of cold meds. Dustin bought me 5 cans of chicken and stars, throat spray, and little mini sprites. I have been living in my bed or on the couch. Back and forth. It's been years since I was this sick. What a pain in the ass. But I'm finally starting to feel like myself a little more each day.

Dustin is always the best but he really shines when I'm sick. He brings me whatever I need, forces me to take meds, makes me food, and will sit next to me for hours when I ask him to. He even put up the Christmas tree all by himself this year. Typically I'm the one putting it up and he'll help out with an ornament here and there but he did everything by himself. I tried to help but he wouldn't let me.

Tweets from the sick:

11/25/14
Of course I'd get sick right before a holiday weekend. OF COURSE.

11/26/14
Just wide awake at 2AM from an earache and sore throat. I want to cry but I'll just post this whiney status instead.

11/27/14
Just being a mopey mopester. I'm NOT thankful for this damn cold. I don't even have the energy to put the xmas tree up. Who am I?

11/28/14
Can't sleep night 3! Throat still on fire! Worst Thanksgiving since 2011.

I haven't stayed up all night in probably 10 years. And I'm sure back then I was having fun not feeling like death.

The cure for a sore throat is a Frosty.

11/29/14
Thank you NyQuil for letting me sleep through the night and yeah I totally think waking up at 6AM on a Sat. is keeping through the night.

All of the days this week have just blurred together.

CANNOT. STOP. COUGHING.

11/20/14
Oh hi 2:22AM. So glad to see you again. NOT.

11/30/14
I feel sick after watching that TWD ending. Whoa!

I guess I feel sickER. Because I already felt sick. Ha! The cold meds are getting to me.

12/1/14
When will I not see 2AM?! Ever? Totally exhausted and can't breathe.

12/2/14
It's 3AM and I must be lonely. Nope just sick.


I also started a video diary of my misery. Enjoy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.