Thursday, May 22, 2025

40 in 40 - Day 18 / Rules

ashmaf900

I've always been a rule-follower. I don't know if it's just my personality or a trauma-response or maybe a combination of the two. I was horrified once when Dustin skipped a huge line of people at House of Blues. I would have never done that on my own. Or when Katie had me jumping over barricades at City Walk. Just this week at therapy I started my session with "I have been stressed because I don't know what I want to talk about." and she responded with "I don't have any expectations." She told me that not every session is some spill your guts sob fest. She said she has some clients who just don't have any one to talk to so they will talk about seemingly mundane topics like a movie they just watched. Or another client who likes to spend the last 10 minutes showing her a video game character they created. To further her point she told me to get up. I was so confused. Then she said you're going to sit in my seat and I'm going to sit where you normally do. See? No rules. And immediately after that I eased up on my own expectations of what this hour would hold and we ended up having a very productive conversation. I find it odd that I'm so comfortable with not conforming to societal rules but all the little stuff is like whoaaa whoa. So thank you to anyone who has ever pushed me to be a rule breaker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.