You know what's something completely unexpected about turning 40? That I am in the best shape of my life. Ain't that some shit? I didn't look or feel as good as I do right now in my body at 16 or at 25 or at 30 and definitely not at 35. I've always been curvier and it took me a long ass time to be comfortable with that. We always want what we don't have and the way I wanted smaller tits for most of my life. Ha! Big boob girls get it. It ain't all lollipops and rainbows carrying these suckers around town.
I've put on weight. I've lost weight. And the cycle will most likely continue until I'm dead. Bodies change through time, and mine has been no exception. But to feel this good about it at a milestone age where society wants me to start withering away is pretty fucking powerful. For the past two years I've incorporated additional movement into my daily routine. I'm not talking crazy 10 mile runs or 2 hours gym sessions. Nope, it's been simple shit mixed with consistency.
I wake up 30 minutes earlier these days (5:15 am) so I can get a yoga practice in to start my day. I do this Monday - Friday. The only time I've missed a day is if I've been sick or out of town. Otherwise it's just part of my routine, just like taking a shower. I also walk at least a mile on my lunch break on the treadmill at the gym at work. I miss the days I could walk outside, but it's hell season aka summer, so those days are long gone. On weekends I forgo yoga and do free weight strength training with my girl Sam Sanchez. The consistency of these easy adjustments has really paid off. For the first time ever, I actually have muscle definition. I'll never forget when I noticed my vastus lateralis (outer thigh - and yes I had to look that muscle name up because 11th grade anatomy and physiology was a long ass time ago) changing and for a minute thought something was wrong with my leg. When I realized it was because of all my hard work I was incredibly proud of myself. The thing is, I'm not trying to look like I'm younger or a body builder, but I do like looking my best for exactly where I am in life.
Being active isn't all of it though. With every new tattoo I get I feel more myself. I feel like I'm hanging another piece of artwork in a gallery.
I've never gotten botox or filler. I'm at peace with aging gracefully, and for me that means naturally. Have I started using tretinoin as part of my skincare regimen per the recommendation of my dermatologist, you bet your ass.
It feels good to not be at war with my physical being for the first time, maybe ever.
Have I peaked? Maybe.
Is it all downhill from here? Maybe.
Or maybe not. Maybe it really does keep getting better.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.