Wednesday, May 7, 2025

40 in 40 - Day 3 / Authenticity

ashmaf886

I want to stress the importance of us all being our authentic selves, but full disclosure, it took me until my late 30s to do so in my own life. I used to be so scared of what people would think of me. Not everyone is supposed to "get" or like me. Duh, Ashley. I've become more and more ok with that. But as a recovering people-pleaser, it's a very hard thing to learn. Little by little I did so. 

I have known I wanted to be childfree since as far back as I can remember, but when people would ask me I used to give them answers like "maybe someday" or "not right now" fully. I was too self-conscious to tell them the truth for fear of judgement. But these days, I proudly scream from the rooftops to strangers and new friends alike that I am childfree by choice. 

The same story is true for me in my atheism journey. I have never believed in god; even as a kid forced to go to church here and there, I questioned it all from day one. I knew since childhood I was an atheist but would people-please to appease others. It went from "Not really into organized religion" to "No I don't go to church", hoping these were vague enough answers that I was being true to myself without offending someone else. But now I know that being an atheist is not offensive, speaking my truth is not offensive, and being myself is where I feel my best. It's ok that I see things a whole different way than others. Isn't that kind of the point? That we all are different? 

I am implore you all to chart your own path, with conviction, no matter how popular it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.