Monday, March 18, 2013

Eight

I know some couples don't really make a big deal out of anniversaries while others go over the top. Dustin and I are somewhere in between. We always celebrate in some way. We typically start planning in February. We don't do gifts (that's what birthdays and Christmas is for!) but we do like to do something. It's just our thing. To do something new together. I look back on our past anniversaries and grin from ear to ear. From Seaworld to Cirque de Soleil to getting MARRIED to Blue Man Group. Oh and there was that one time we saw the Bodies Exhibit (which coincidentally is back in Orlando until June). We do fun stuff throughout the year of course, but our anniversary is always a good excuse do the things we haven't gotten around to yet. It's our YOLO reminder.

SATURDAY:
This year we decided to go to The Florida Aquarium in Tampa. We have driven by it a couple times when we go to Lightning vs. Pens games but neither of us had been inside. So, we got up early Saturday and hit the road. We made pretty good time and got there just as it opened. We went straight to the sting rays. They are so cool. They glide through the water like a kite flies in the air. It's fun to watch. I was even able to touch one! It felt like slippery rubber. We noticed a crowd starting to form just feet from us in the lobby and I knew exactly what to expect. PENGUINS! Not Crosby or Fleury but the cute little birds. They just stood in this glass box while everyone took photos. From there we went into the Wetlands where we saw gators and otters. The otters were so hyper. They did back flip after back flip. It was very impressive. We moved onto the aquarium section and of course Dustin and I thought of Matt the whole time. I thought the vintage aquariums from the 1800s were really interesting. I've never really thought about the history of them before. My favorite part of the whole thing was the floor to ceiling aquarium filled with sharks, random fish, a sea turtle with one bum leg and some scuba divers. The room was dark and the only light came from the aquarium. Dustin and I walked the length of it, marveling at everything. We'd point, gasp, squeal (maybe I was the only one who squealed) at all the wonders right before our eyes. We both sat on one of the benches and just watched. We held hands and just looked forward. I could have done that all day. 

We headed into the gift shop before heading back to Orlando. I ended up buying a postcard, two 'mood cups', and a magnet. Yeah!

The traffic on the way back was awful. One hour of stop go stop go. I just don't get it. Dustin kept my spirits up by making really hilarious comments on my Waze app. He'd write 'biker gang on shoulder' or  'no accident yet, people just don't know how to drive'. Also, he kept up with fellow Wazers that were around us. It made me crack up. He said "I'm probably going to get you kicked off here." I didn't care. (And he didn't.) I love that we can have such a good time in a shitty situation. I love that he makes me laugh when I want to scream at the top of my lungs.

We had planned on dining at the T-Rex Cafe at Downtown Disney but it got bad reviews from Dustin's co-workers. We decided on The Cheesecake Factory where you can never go wrong! By the time we got there I was frazzled from the traffic. I was happy to just relax and eat. 

  Untitled Untitled Untitled

Untitled

Untitled Untitled Untitled

IMG_7500

Untitled

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Untitled

IMG_7508

Untitled

Untitled Untitled

Untitled

Untitled Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

SUNDAY:
St. Patrick's Day is our actual anniversary. We ate donuts for breakfast and burgers for linner. And like we used to back in the beginning, we sat down on the couch and each enjoyed our own flavor of Ben & Jerry's while watching TV.

Eight years. EIGHT! I feel like we should be 55 or something. Eight feels so much more than seven for some reason. Time is weird. I'll never understand it. 

Our weekend together was just lovely. I loved reminiscing. I loved our discussions about how far we've come. I loved laughing about our first fight. I just loved spending some serious quality time with my husband. It felt like we were in our own little bubble.

Even the best of relationships are hard and thats why I believe they should not only be appreciated but celebrated.

IMG_7514 IMG_7516 IMG_7517 IMG_7510


I should be over all the butterflies

But I’m into you
And baby even on our worst nights
I’m into you 
Let em wonder how we got this far
Cause I don’t really need to wonder at all
Yeah after all this time
I’m still into you

-Paramore

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.