Sunday, March 31, 2013

Resolutions: March

My original 2013 Resolution post.
January
February

Hair - It's there. Being it's stupid annoying self. I don't know why so many girls LOVE having long hair. It's a pain in the ass to wash, dry and straighten/style. Also, I feel like it's so heavy and hot. It's always sticking to me. Ugh! But I'm chugging along.

Read a New Book - This was a really good month for reading. I think I'm officially out of my reading funk!

Safe Haven - I have to be honest. The only reason I even read this was because it was only $5ish on my Kindle. But I did actually really enjoy it. I thought it was a lot more thriller than romance but the story was really well done. I can't wait to see how the movie stands up.

"Besides, every couple needs to argue now and then. Just to prove that the relationship is strong enough to survive it."
"I'm not sure anyone's life turns out exactly the way they imagine. All we can do is try and make the best of it. Even when it seems impossible."

The Lucky One - I've had this book for over 6 months and never once picked it up to even attempt to read it. But I was able to finish it in just 2 days. It was a entertaining read but not my favorite from Nicholas Sparks. But I did like the book a lot more than the movie.

The Fault In Our Stars - This has quickly moved to the top of my 'fave books of all time list'. It's one of those books that has stayed with me (Like Perks of Being a Wallflower and Siliver Linings Playbook). It's been days since I've finished it (today is March 9) and I can't stop thinking about Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. It was smart, romantic, witty, tragic, real, sarcastic, and absolutely heartbreaking. It ripped me apart emotionally. I sat in my bed sobbing through most of the book. Dustin kept popping in to check on me. It was rough. So I'm probably not selling it with those last sentences but trust me, it's worth your time.

"That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt."
"Most parents don't really know their children."
"Some infinities are bigger than others."
"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."

Give back - The last time I was at Tasty Tuesdays with Erin, we hit up the Yum Yum Cupcake Truck as we always do. Every time you buy a cupcake they will mark/hole punch one of their cards and then you get a free one after buying so many. I bought one for myself and one for Erin which meant I could get another cupcake for free. Dustin has been really good about his diet lately and told me specifically not to get him one. I didn't NEED another one although I certainly wanted one. So I told the guy working on the truck that night to give my free cupcake to the next person who comes up. He seemed taken aback as did Erin. It's such a small thing but I know if it were me I would be super excited to randomly get something for free. I don't know who ended up getting it but I sure hope it was the sweetest cupcake ever.

Side (yet related) note: Sometimes I am too hard on myself about giving back. But I am constantly reminded that it's not about the amount of money you are able to donate. It's about doing something nice for others.

Go to Yoga - I received an email from the Yoga studio I frequent asking where I had been. It was a good yet sad reminder that it had been a month+ since I had gone to a class. So when Erin asked me to go on March 9th I was all for it.

Write a handwritten letter - I sent a handwritten postcard!

Save - Not this month. BUT I was able to pay off my iMac so I still feel like a winner.

Travel - Dustin and I went to Tampa for our anniversary so I'm going to say that counts. We traveled on the highway through a few counties so yeah it counts! It was nice to get out of town for a bit even if it was only an hour away.

Outside - Dustin and I have really been taking advantage of the basketball court in our new neighborhood. We bought our first basketball (as a couple) and have been shooting hoops several times a week. I'm terrible but I have a blast anyway. Dustin was definitely a bit rusty at first but then he kept getting 3 pointers and I was all kinds of impressed. One time we even went to the court WITHOUT our phones. It was just us, the ball, and a set of keys. We walked there and then played for a whole hour by ourselves. It was humid as hell and we were gross and sweaty but it felt good. It felt like the 90s. Like when I was a kid. We focused on having fun with a rubber ball instead of checking the latest status update. We took granny shots instead of worrying about the best snapshot to post to Instagram. We ran around like idiots laughing instead of running to our phones with every iMessage "BING!". We just enjoyed being. The sounds of kids riding by on their bikes. The sound of dogs barking in the distance. The sun setting behind the trees. The passing cars. The sounds of millions of critters. It's hard to describe the feeling but I hope to have it again really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.