Saturday, March 9, 2013

A MySpace Message

Untitled


It was around this time 8 years ago, that I was staring at the round clock in one of my many classes, anxious for class to be over. I couldn't wait to talk to Dustin. This kid who I really didn't know but he seemed to really like me for some odd reason.

It started on January 25, 2005. He sent me a message via MySpace, asking to be my friend (because he had seen a photo of me on one of our mutual friend's page). I accepted. I'm not sure how I responded to his message but somewhere along the way we exchanged AIM names. Yeah, remember how awesome AIM was/still is? We talked on there for a couple months. I would race home from school or work just to see if he was online. My heart beat fast the minute I saw 'FatDrummer1104' on my Buddy List. And when he was offline I was equally disappointed. We talked on AIM a lot and then we moved to the phone. We once had a SEVEN hour conversation. I remember after awhile my ear being sore, my phone so hot it felt like it was on fire, but I just didn't want to hang up. I don't think either of us really understood it but we just got one another, so we never questioned it. Conversation flowed so easily as we got to know one another. We were just comfortable from the start.

He told me he and his friend Pat (who is currently dating my friend Sam!) would be in town to get some things at SamAsh (yeah, weird. but awesome. totally meant to be!), so he asked me to meet up with them. I was totally down. I of course wanted to meet this guy I've been talking to. I can't remember the details but I laid down that afternoon to take a nap and didn't wake up until around 11PM. I remember waking up and my room being pitch black except for Rusty's (RIP) tank light. I immediately panicked. I had missed it. The opportunity was gone. I of course had a few missed calls from him wondering what had happened. I didn't have a good excuse. I felt like an idiot. Dustin didn't really seem too phased by the whole thing, "some other time" he said, but that's when Pat started calling me his "internet girlfriend" and questioned my existence (for good reason). Ha! We met a couple weeks after that during my Spring Break. It was a Thursday. The day was St. Patrick's Day.

And it went something like THIS...

EDIT: After Dustin read this post, he sent me a screenshot below. I now know how I responded. And better yet, he saved it, all these years later. I cried. Obviously.


DNA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.