Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Kind Of Sort Of Movie Review

Over the last week Dustin and I have managed to watch 4 new(ish) movies. I'm so happy that he shares the same love for movies as I do. We hate going out anywhere after work. We don't like to go-go-go all the time. We are both homebodies through and through. Some of my favorite memories are holding his hand in a dark theater or cuddling up together on our couch watching a great movie. To us, it's always the simplest of times that are the best. Fuck the hustle and bustle. Slow down and just relax.





one / two / three / four

I remember first seeing the preview for this movie and not really knowing what to make of it. I wasn't dying to see it until everyone started talking about how great it was. So Dustin rented it off Xbox. It was way better than I was expecting. For one thing, I wasn't expecting it to be so funny. Like really funny. Jennifer Lawrence was especially fantastic. The 70s weren't exactly my favorite time in history when it comes to trends but this movie had me wanting to put curlers in my hair and wear big ol' bug eyed glasses. Aside from all the fashion, the story in itself was good. I was never quite sure who was conning who and by the end of it I was happy to see how it had all worked out. Good stuff!





one / two 

I never saw one preview for this movie. It was like all of a sudden it fell out of no where and became the biggest animated movie of the year. All I ever saw on Tumblr/Vine/FB were references to it. All I ever heard were people singing that damn song "Let It Go". I wanted to hate it even though I had never seen it. So last Thursday after a hellish day Dustin suggested we watch it. So we did. And of course we both LOVED it. I mean I could never hate this movie because it's just so cute and funny and amazing. I loved that it was a true Disney movie in that there were multiple songs throughout. I loved that it was more about sisterly love than romantic love. And how great was Olaf aka the snowman? He goes down as one of my favorite Disney characters of all time. Am I the last person to find out that Kristen Bell actually sings?! I had no idea. Also, there's a fan theory that Frozen, Tangled, and The Little Mermaid are all related. I don't know if it's true but I kind of want to believe it is. This movie definitely lived up to the hype.





one / two / three

Dustin and I have been so anxious to see this movie. We adore everything that Wes Anderson has ever made. He's a film genius. Since his movies are considered "indie" they don't come out in theaters like regular bigger movies. I thought we'd have to go see it at the Enzian like we did for Moonrise Kingdom. I kept checking their website and Facebook for news but nothing. Dustin read online that it was to be released 3/21 to more cities. So I set up a Fandango reminder to let me know when it was playing in Orlando. I was so excited when I got the little alert that it was playing at the Winter Park Village. I immediately bought us tickets for the very first showing on Saturday morning. We got there earlier than usual because Dustin thought it might sell out. Let's just say it DID NOT sell out (at least not the 10:15 showing).  There was an issue with the projector and the movie started and stopped just as fast. Thankfully it only took them 15 minutes to get it up and running for real this time. First of all Ralph Fiennes (aka Voldemort) was superb. Just perfect. As was the entire cast, but I really saw him in a whole new way which I loved. The movie has several layers and time frames and many many different characters. I thought it might be hard to keep it all straight but it really wasn't. The whole film was like watching a true piece of art. I mean, the sets and costumes are incredible. Like all Anderson movies, it was like watching the loveliest of dreams. It left me wanting to get a room at the Budapest and stop by Mendl's for something sweet. I love Wes Anderson's humor. I also loved how adventurous this movie was. Needless to say, Dustin and I loved it as we knew we would.





onetwo / three

I don't really know how to put this movie into words. I liked it, I do know that much. I liked seeing this man fuck up and keep on going over and over again. I liked the whole feel of the early 60s folk scene. And I really loved the cat. My biggest complaint was Justin Timberlake was in it. I just don't like him as an actor (or a singer for that matter). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.