Sunday, July 27, 2014

Out With The Old, In With The New

I haven't been over to my grandparent's house for about a year and a half. I remember the last time I was there I took a bunch of photos and video, did a final walkthrough, and said my goodbyes. And then I came home and wrote this post. I heard through the grapevine that it sold awhile back and that the new owners had started remodeling it. A few months ago my mom told me she took a tour of the house. I immediately asked if she could arrange a showing for me to see it too. Thankfully the new owners are super nice and today I finally got to see all the hard work they put into it. It was weird walking into that house for the first time since under new ownership but it had to be even weirder for the homeowners to welcome in strangers. I'm so glad they did though. Thank you thank you! Some houses are just a place to live and then there are the homes that become part of the family; this one was always the latter. I loved every change they made. I don't have a bad thing to say about any of it. I really thought it would be sad to see it completely re-done (because I'm extremely sentimental and sappy) but it wasn't at all. It was exciting to see it modernized. They took down all the crazy wallpaper, ripped up the carpet (who knew the entire house had beautiful hardwood floors under there?!), gutted the kitchen (they took down a wall so the kitchen is open to the dining room and added a wall to create an office), and added a deck.   It's so much brighter, fresh, and more open! Of course I loved the redesign of the house and all the cosmetic work but what really made me happy was to see them use the living room as the focal point of the home. It was always a more formal area as I was growing up that got use but was more of a walk through space more than anything. I always thought it was the coolest house even when it was outdated.  And I always hoped that one day someone would see the potential it had and was able to do something about it. I'm so happy for this family and I wish them as many wonderful memories in that home as I have. Thank you for giving it a new life.

*  *  *  *  *

I tried my best to include a before photo for each room. More before photos can be found here

The front yard sure has changed over the years. 

Untitled

Untitled

Front door modeling. 

Untitled

Untitled

French doors on the right lead into an office. That used to be part of the kitchen. 

Untitled

Untitled

grnadparents-xmas

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

24088_379586873983_537993983_3559775_5146789_n

Untitled

I love how you can really see the nice built-in now. Before it just seemed hidden.

cuz & mommys

Untitled

Formal dining room. My picture from today came out super dark but I assure you the wallpaper is no more. 

Untitled

Untitled

Looking into the formal dining room. There was a door on the right leading into the kitchen. Now that entire wall has been taken out and is open to the kitchen.

Untitled

The eat-in area beyond the burners is now an enclosed office.

cooks

Untitled292

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.