My last "real" summer happened 14 years ago. Half my lifetime ago. At the time I was just so anxious to do all these adult things I didn't think to cherish it as something that would never come to be again. And even if I had, I'm sure I'd miss it now just the same.
I miss the last week or so of school where I spent time stressing and studying before all my exams. I remember the nerves before a final presentation. That time always seemed to rush by and in a poof it was over and I was officially moving on to the next grade. But first, SUMMER. I miss the signing of yearbooks with "KIT" scribbled next to a phone number. But no one did keep in touch unless you were already besties. The thought was sweet though. I remember when that last bell of the year rang out and we all stampeded out of our last class. We'd race out of school with no where to go. Nothing to do. And that's what I miss about the summer most. The time. There was so much time. Time to do stuff. Time to sleep. Time to be bored. Time ran wild during those real summers.
My summers always started out at my mom's house. During that time, I celebrated my birthday every year a few weeks after school was out, got to have sleepovers, & hung out at my grandparent's house (mostly because of their lake). During my younger years I rollerbladed and biked A LOT. But as I got older but not quite old enough to have a job, I'd spend time with friends going to movies or driving around town.
The second half of the summer was spent out at my dad's. He lives 45 minutes away in the middle of no where. I remember summers where I loved being out there for a month and summers when I felt like I might as well be on a different planet. As a kid, I would play with cousins on four-wheelers, slip-n-slides, and just explore the great outdoors. During my teen years, I felt so isolated when I had to go out there. And this was well before social media days but I'd hear about parties or hangs or drama and I didn't get to be apart any of it. On second thought, they can keep the drama. I remember watching a lot of TV in my room. I'd watch Nick at Nite when they played all the classics like The Brady Bunch, Laverne and Shirley, & The Lucy Show. I'd also watch lots of music videos and Daria.
I did not have the kind of family that went on summer vacations. There was no road trip. No travel of any kind, really. I did go to camp one year for a week which was quite the experience. It was actually really fun minus the religious aspect and being on my period most of the time.
For me, summer always ended with some clothes shopping. This was both awesome and not. I mean, does anyone ever have fun shopping with their parents? No. The answer is no. It's never fun. Everything you pick out they either think is too expensive or "not appropriate". Puhhlease. Parents just don't understand...fashion.
I remember going to sleep on that last night of summer every single year. I'd lay in bed and think to myself how in the world is the summer over already? And now that's how I feel after every weekend. Real summers were the shit but like everything good, they can't last forever.
Now my summers are just like my winters and springs. I go to work and I get weekends off. My free time is very limited. I still have bills to pay in the summer. I'd take more vacations if they didn't cost so much. Basically, summers these days aren't really summers at all. Summer used to be a lifestyle but now it's just a season you get to wear sleeveless dress shirts to work.
Oh to be young again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.