The last time I saw The Early November was in the summer of 2006. I heard somehow (probably via Myspace) that they would be playing outside of the Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney. At the time, I was working right off I-Drive and decided to go after I got off work. Who turns down a free/convenient show? Not this girl. So I went by myself and was apart of a very small crowd that enjoyed their performance. Soon after that show they decided to take a break/break up and didn't make new music together until 2011.
So when I heard they were going out on an acoustic tour I was all kinds of excited. I bought tickets right away and wrote in on the calendar. Finally, August 1st had arrived. (Yeah, this post is way late. It happens! Whatev.) Dustin and I didn't have any interest in the opening bands. At all. So we took our time getting to the venue. We went out to dinner, then took a walk around Target, and got to the venue a little after 7. We still ended up having to sit through two opening acts which were not great. Womp womp. So we went to the infamous photobooth to waste a little time. We ended up with a perfect view of the stage (it's hard not to at The Social) and we were ready to go when TEN finally started playing.
The place was full but not by any means packed. We all had room to move which was nice for us old folks. The entire show felt like we were all hanging out at someone's house. It was the most intimate and laid back show I've ever been to. Truly. It was amazing. Ace & Joe talked to us a lot which I thought was great. They'd tell us stories of the old touring days or just randomly talk about Nicolas Cage movies. After each song they would ask the crowd what song we wanted to hear next and everyone literally just yelled out a song and they would play it. I mean, how cool is that? No set list. And not only that but they played songs from all of their CDs and also from Ace's side projects (I Can Make a Mess & Ace Enders & a Million People). It was so fun. The energy in the room was just incredible. They also randomly broke out into a few covers of Save Tonight and All For You which was pretty fucking great. I honestly don't think Dustin and I laughed more at a show than we did that night. They made us all feel like we were just old friends hanging out listening and singing along to good music. They seem like the very coolest of cool and are also extremely talented. I'm so happy Dustin and I were able to experience them together.
I know I say this every time I post a video of a show but please excuse my
horrible hawrible voice throughout. It's just that I'm usually in the moment and I want to sing along but I also want to film a little too. It's not until later that I come home, move the videos to my computer and start editing when I realize there's another dying cat in my video.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.