Amazon's description:
1946. World War II has ended and all over the world, young women are beginning to fulfill the promises made to the men they wed in wartime.
In Sydney, Australia, four women join 650 other war brides on an extraordinary voyage to England—aboard HMS Victoria, which still carries not just arms and aircraft but a thousand naval officers. Rules are strictly enforced, from the aircraft carrier’s captain down to the lowliest young deckhand. But the men and the brides will find their lives intertwined despite the Navy’s ironclad sanctions. And for Frances Mackenzie, the complicated young woman whose past comes back to haunt her far from home, the journey will change her life in ways she never could have predicted—forever.
This book was really hard to get into. It started off kind of all over the place but now I'm about 45% in and I can see how things are coming together. I started reading it because I have just read another book by JoJo Moyes called Me Before You and couldn't put it down. It was just a perfect book. Just beautifully heartfelt yet tragic. Anyway, back to the book I'm currently reading since this is a "currently" post. I'm enjoying the book but I'm not exactly dying to turn the page. It reminds me of Mad Men in that I like the time period so much that I overlook some of the boring story lines. Although this is a fictional book, I love the history behind it and I am eager to see how these girls/brides end up.
Watching: All the shows!! Seriously, my DVR is on overload ya'll. AND I LOVE IT. Parenthood is back and has me crying every episode. Modern Family has me cracking up every episode. We're trying out Gotham and so far so good 3 episodes in... I am loving (just as I knew I would) Red Band Society. As much as the show deals with heavy topics (seriously shitty illnesses) it's truly inspiring and uplifting. But I'm so ready for The Walking Dead to come back on. I miss having a Sunday night show to watch!
Listening to: 'You're The One That I Want' by The Lennings. I absolutely love this cover! It took me quite awhile to figure out what song it was. Some covers are just awful but this one just works even though it's so completely different from the original. (Yeah, I don't get the music video either - ha!)
Excited about: This whole weekend! I love Fridays so much because you feel like you have all the time in the world in front of you and then of course you sadly realize you don't when Sunday afternoon creeps in. But right now, right in this very moment I have that infinite feeling of a fun upcoming weekend filled with relaxation, movie watching, and friend visiting. Katie and I are going to meet up at the Deland Indie Market on Sunday and hit up some of her fave shops downtown. I'm super excited to spend the day with the Zinzi girls even if it is going to be a million degrees outside.
Nervous about: Blood work! Next week. UGH. I'm trying not to think about it but that doesn't really work when it comes to my brain. I'm not worried about the results; it's the needle thing that freaks me out. I have passed out just about every time I've had blood drawn that I can remember in my adult life. Thankfully, Dustin is going to be with me this time around to hold my hand, feed me a cupcake, or make out with me. Hey whatever works! I need distractions upon distractions. Don't judge.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.