Eight
A Book You Love And One You Didn't
I am almost done with Vagina A Re-Education and I cannot shout it from the rooftops enough how much I'm loving it. I heard about it when Estee LaLonde had the author on her podcast and they discussed it. I was instantly intrigued. It's not some crazy page turner because it's mostly informational with some memoir aspects to it, but the educational part is not at all like a boring textbook. I love learning in general but learning about my body that I thought I already knew pretty well is cool as hell. I wish sex education in schools everywhere covered everything in this book because girls/women deserve to be informed about their body in every sense no matter what men think or religions deem appropriate or how society treats women's bodies. I highly recommend for every woman and teenage girl. Knowledge is power.
Less was the book I was supposed to read for my July Book Club. I did read it but only made it about 1/3 through. It won a goddamn pulitzer prize and I could only make it a third through?! I'm so confused. There was no story, at least in the portion I read. It didn't grab me. It didn't "get better". I always feel super guilty giving up on a book. Most of the time I rather read it in full and just tell everyone how much I hated it. But as I get older I also am of the opinion that I don't want to waste my time on a book I'm not into. I don't want something that is a lovely hobby to feel like a chore.
Here's a quote posted on Amazon:
A struggling novelist travels the world to avoid an awkward wedding in this hilarious Pulitzer Prize-winning novel full of "arresting lyricism and beauty" (The New York Times Book Review).

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.