Monday, September 12, 2011

Old Us


After a rough afternoon, Dustin found himself in a Publix, waiting on prescriptions to be filled. While there, an older lady (probably in her 70s) asked him about his shirt.

Dustin: Oh, it's a hockey shirt.
Lady: Yeah, I know the Penguins! But why is there a shamrock on it?
Dustin: My wife and I got married on St. Patrick's Day and we went up to Pittsburgh for our honeymoon. While there we went to a Pens game and they had these shirts for sale.
Lady: Oh wow. My husband and I got married 3 days after St. Patrick's Day - 50 years ago. Where are you from?
Dustin: Weirton, WV.
Lady: We're from Wheeling! (approx. 30 miles south of Weirton)

Turns out the lady's name was Ashleigh. How crazy, right?
Then Ashleigh's husband walked up sporting a Steelers shirt (even after that horrendous loss yesterday). Dedicated fan - just like someone I know.
AND somewhere in the conversation they realized they knew Dustin's grandparents when they worked at the old Steel Mill.

Dustin came home and gave me the biggest hug. One of those back bending hugs that ended in a kiss. I thought for sure with all the frustration he had gone through earlier in the day he would have come home in a bad mood but he said that couple made him so happy. He said that couple reminded him of us. A future us. An old us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.