Saturday, November 3, 2012

Vacation: Day Five

We only had one thing on the brain when we woke up on Sunday - GAME DAY. We dressed in our Steelers attire and took a few pictures with Grandma Dee and Pap before we headed to Pittsburgh. They also had their Steelers stuff on. We couldn't wait to watch the game INSIDE HEINZ FIELD. They were planning on watching from the comfort of their living room.

IMG_7248

IMG_7249 IMG_0301

The one and only time we got to drive through the Fort Pitt Tunnel during our trip was on the way to the game. I really took it in. There's nothing like it. Pittsburgh wins 'Best Entrance to a City' hands down. You can't help but feel infinite.

IMG_0305

IMG_0307

IMG_0310

We drove over the bridge and got off at the Heinz Field exit. We were told in advance that parking would be expensive so we were expecting to park a mile away and pay a million dollars a lot. We pulled into the very first parking lot we saw (only a couple blocks away) and ended up paying $50. Definitely pricier than any Florida game but we didn't care. It's fucking vacation! It's the FUCKING STEELERS. We bundled up (Dustin - shirt, sweatshirt, insulated sweatshirt, and beanie. Me - long sleeve shirt, jersey, winter jacket, double socks, gloves, and hat). Low 40s and rainy. Not the best football weather but oh well!

We got there around 10ish (I had thought it was kind of early but I agreed to go whenever Dustin wanted to). I'm glad we got there when we did though because it gave us plenty of time to walk around and just appreciate everything. All of the fans, Steely Beam (I kept wanting to call him Steely Dan - Ha!), the stadium itself, all the shops, etc. It was surreal. I kept thinking "is this real life"? I'm pretty sure Dustin was just in awe.

IMG_0316 IMG_0317 IMG_0314

IMG_0323

IMG_0318 IMG_7252
IMG_0321 IMG_0322 IMG_7257 IMG_7259
IMG_0319
IMG_7261

We got in line early and only waited about 15 minutes before they opened the gates. We went straight into one of the Sideline Stores and both bought the bumble bee/prison/most hated throwback jerseys in history (Dustin got #7 and I got #84). I've liked them since they were first announced at the beginning of the season. I knew they would get a lot of flak. I could only imagine what the announcers were saying but even worse the fans (whether Steelers or not) in the bars and at home. I do not care who hates them because it doesn't change my love for them.

We made our way slowly to our seats. We walked around, took pictures, and just acted like a bunch of people who had never seen Heinz Field up close and personal.

IMG_0327

IMG_7263

IMG_0339

IMG_0337 IMG_0336

IMG_0341

IMG_0330

IMG_0329

IMG_0338

IMG_7273 IMG_0352

We made the treacherous climb to our seats. I swear that staircase went on for years. I'd like to think that I'm fairly in shape but I was winded once we actually got to our seats. We knew we had some nose bleed seats (I don't know how people spend close to a grand per seat for ONE GAME for the 'good seats') but they weren't really all that bad (except for the climb). For one, we could still see pretty well and two, we were under the covered portion which meant we didn't even need ponchos. We stayed completely dry the entire time. High five!

We had a good hour+ left before the game started. We just hung out in our seats, tried on our new throwback jerseys, and watched the guys warm up.

IMG_0388 IMG_0349 IMG_0347

IMG_7275

IMG_7276

IMG_7277

IMG_7281

IMG_7283

IMG_7288

IMG_7289

IMG_7290

IMG_7292

IMG_7294

The game started with a performance from a band called 'High Valley'. I've never heard of them but apparently they are kind of country and are from Canada. They weren't too bad. I loved that they all had terrible towels in their back pockets. Way to score some points with Steeler Nation. They played a couple songs and then the game finally started.

That first touchdown was awesome and really set the tone for the rest of the game. The entire place just exploded. Everyone jumped off their seats and started waving their terrible towels. The energy was like no other sporting event I've ever been to.

There were only two Redskin fans in our section (that I could see) and I seriously thought a few fights would break out by the end of the game. Everyone was on their best behavior and only verbally attacked the other team (and it's very few fans). All was well. Haha!

Was I cold? You bet your ass I was. This Floridian has only seen snow once. ONCE in my 27 years. My idea of cold weather is 50s-60s. So, being out in rainy low 40 degree weather for HOURS was tough. My jacket kept me pretty warm but when the wind blew I could just feel it down to my bones. I loved my gloves (the fingertips were cut out) so my hands stayed warm and I was still able to play with all my electronics. I will say, it wasn't nearly as bad weather wise as I thought it would be. Although, when we got up to leave, I could barely walk. I was super stiff!

I'm so glad Dustin and I got to check that off our life list. The whole experience is one I'll remember forever. And ever.

RGIII who? 

IMG_7297

IMG_0355

IMG_7300

IMG_7311

first down

IMG_7316

IMG_0358

IMG_7318

We said our goodbyes to Pittsburgh and drove back to Weirton. I got to paint my ring holder finally - purple of course. Then we all went out to eat at a Chinese buffet. When we got back, we took family photos in the kitchen. I was hoping to get some nice pictures in their backyard, with the pretty fall leaves, but it just kept on raining. Indoor photos only. Booo.

IMG_7323

IMG_7326

IMG_7324

IMG_7327

IMG_7328

IMG_7330

IMG_7331

IMG_7334

IMG_7332 IMG_7319 IMG_7336 IMG_0368
IMG_0373

IMG_0369

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.