Dustin and I started brainstorming Christmas card ideas early this year. Like August early. We decided on a super hero theme and we would caption the card with "Have a SUPER Christmas!". I was planning on being Catwoman or Wonder Woman or some kind of awesome woman. Dustin wanted to be the Hulk. I had this whole thing worked out in my head. I looked at costumes before Halloween, during Halloween and the 'sales' after Halloween. But they were all way more than I was willing to spend. Then Dustin had a lightbulb moment and suggested we do a TMNT theme. He has been a fan of TMNT since he was a zygote. I was a fan as a kid too. I mean I still drink out of my Michelangelo cup on a regular basis. So the minute he mentioned it, I thought it was brilliant. I was 100% on board. He already had a Raphael mask and twin sais - since his childhood. So all he needed was the shirt and then of course I needed an entire Donatello costume which was so easy and inexpensive thanks to Amazon.com. We had planned to take the photo ourselves, like we have done every year. But then my boss got these amazing photos taken of her and her family and I knew we just had to use the same photographer. I remember going home at lunch that same day and sending her a Facebook message. I thought it was a long shot because it was kind of short notice but she was very sweet to squeeze us in (AND on her birthday weekend no less!) I was kind of nervous to tell her our Christmas card idea but she was immediately game.
We met her for a Sunday morning hour long shoot at one of the prettiest parks in the Orlando area. A park I had never even heard of, let alone been to. We parked and walked up ready to go. We got some stares and some kids spotted us right away and screamed "ninja turtles!". The three of us laughed it off and got down to business. I was planning on going blind (no glasses) so I could wear my mask but then Dustin and Kelly both agreed that I looked good with my glasses on top of my mask. Done!
I told Kelly to direct us however she wanted. I completely trusted her. She had some really fun ideas. I especially love the jumping photo. And the one where Dustin has me over his shoulder. And the ones by the tree. Hell, I love them all.
I know it sounds weird but I was worried about having a stranger photograph us. The minute we met Kelly though, all of those worries just went away. She was friendly, fun, professional, and most importantly really supportive of the theme. She exceeded every expectation I had. I can't wait to book another session with her. I'd love to get some of my brother and I. I'll worry about that next year.
And this video is just because I have lots of free time. And why the hell not right?

















I was just reminiscing on some past shoots and restumbled on your post about our session! Just saw I could post a comment so I thought what the heck! Lol it was such a pleasure working with both of you! So happy your Christmas cards were such a hit!! :)
ReplyDeleteKelly Berringer
Aw Kelly it was so much fun. You are the best and the photos are some of my favorite of all time. How will we ever out do them this year?! We'll think of something and then we're coming to you! LOL
Delete