Monday, June 3, 2013

Hair Schmair

This whole growing my hair out thing has been a journey to say the least. It started almost exactly two years ago. (And if Flickr would cooperate I'd post pictures of the progress. Ugh.) But I remember it was during the time Pinterest really started to take off and I would see all these amazing hair styles left and right. I hadn't had long hair since our wedding and I hadn't had super long hair since high school. Also, a lot of my friends either already had long hair or were in the process of growing their hair out too. I was inspired. I also saw it as a challenge as silly as that sounds. For someone who can't really dye their hair (crazy allergic!) I always have loved getting it cut because it's the only way I can really change things up. And I'm not one of those girls who gets too attached to hair so I cut it pretty frequently. Growing it out was going to be tough but like I said before, I was up for a good little hair challenge. Other than the drastic bang cut last year, I have only gotten it trimmed every few months. I have been itching to chop it off for awhile but I kept thinking "You can do it. A few more months. A little longer." I had fully committed and thought I'd make it to July-August but then this week happened. I felt like a lot of things were spinning out of control (things are better but there are still some unresolved issues that I'm just going to have to accept one of these days). I wanted a change. I wanted to do something I had complete control over. I called Alchemy on Wednesday while on my lunch break. Two tries and no answer. I thought maybe it was a sign. Maybe I should hold out. But then I called again on my drive home and was able to set up an appointment for 5PM Friday. I hung up and made it official by adding it to my phone calendar. Welp, this is it!

We had inventory at work both Thursday and Friday. Thursday was a 15 hour day and Friday was about an 11 hour day. Then add on all of my personal issues on top of that. I was glad to have that hair appointment to look forward to. I thought I might have to cancel/reschedule my appointment not knowing if I would have to stay later than usual to finish up at work but they let me go at my regular time. My hair was all kinds of crazy on Friday. It was on the top of my head in the messiest buns you ever did see and hadn't been washed in DAYS. When I told them I had important plans (hair appointments definitely count as important) they looked at me (jokingly of course) like "Yeah, you sure do need that hair appointment!". HA!

It was my first time at Alchemy. I had always heard great things from people I knew and in writing (pretty sure they were voted best hair salon in the Orlando Weekly - yep! Confirmed.) And funny enough I almost went to them for my wedding hair but ended up choosing Lambs Eat Ivy (based on location). Both great salons.

I was so excited to finally see the inside of this cute salon that I have heard so much about. That I have driven by since high school. It lived up to every expectation that I had. I wish I had taken more photos but didn't want to seem like a tourist in my hometown. The waiting area was adorable. Mostly because of the vintage couch which was leather and huge and all kinds of awesome. And then they had some great reading material. I especially liked this book. Oh and there was also a gorgeous chandelier that hung over it all. And one in the bathroom too. Because duh!

My appointment was with Kristen. She was the cutest. She sat me down (in the coolest chair - you can kind of see it in the photos below) and I told her I wanted to chop it off. Then I showed her a photo. She washed my super gross, dirty hair and massaged my head/neck. Like a serious massage. I wish she could wash my hair every day. As I was walking back to the chair I saw Erin pop her head out from the waiting area and automatically waved for her to come join us. I had asked her if she wanted to come watch and she did. She was awesome. Not only did she take a bunch of photos (I feel like I've taught her well. Haha!) but she was super supportive. She was just excited as I was and it made the experience that much more fun. Kristen asked if I was ready before she took the first cut. And I responded "Yeah, do it!!". She actually ended up cutting it shorter than I had envisioned but I love it. I wasn't set on the photo I showed her. I'm glad she kind of took it as a guide but we ended up with a completely separate look. She agreed with me that I had a lot of hair and it was really heavy. So she did a lot of razoring to lighten it up. What a difference! My only request was NO BANGS. (Sorry bangs but I just can't deal with you. You drive me nuts!) She blew it out and diffused it a bit. Added some Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray and I was done. I was so excited. I knew it was the right decision when I didn't feel a single pang of regret.

I felt like a dork asking for a picture with her but she was so receptive and game. I was just really thankful. I did the same thing when I had my hair styled for my wedding at Lamb Eats Ivy. I like to document shit OK? Get off my back. And actually they asked for a photo of me to put on their Facebook! Um totes!

I walked out of there a new person. My spirit had been partially restored. I felt the best I had in weeks. Erin kept telling me how much she loved it..."I can't get over your hair."..."OMG Ashley, seriously so cute"....etc. Thanks girl! I appreciate your support through and through.

Untitled
Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled


And now it's been a few days since the initial shock. The phantom hair feeling has worn off and still no regrets. I actually gained 10 MINUTES this morning while getting ready for work. My hair takes no time to wash/rinse, dry, and style. It doesn't get stuck around my neck when I sleep or caught in my seatbelt. Dustin doesn't accidentally yank a chunk out when we hug or cuddle. It's LIGHT. So so light. And also cooler. I mean, I know these things are pretty obvious but after having long hair for so long I forgot how awesome it can be to have short hair. The only real drawback is having to get it cut all the time (if I choose to keep it this short). I hate anything with upkeep but for now it's awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.