My original 2013 resolution post.
January
February
March
April
May
Read a new book - I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids by Jen Kirkman - This is my new favorite book. Not only is it entertaining and hilarious but I related to just about every story she told about her child-free life. This book made me feel less crazy and less alone in this decision. I also think Jen and I would be great friends even if the friendship was only based on our mutual disinterest of children. But I bet we'd have even more in common. For example, she likes to tell jokes and I like to laugh! So yeah we're a perfect match! I highly recommend this to all women. I think mothers especially could take something away from it. And to all the non-mothers, this book is such a comfort. Jen is my hero.
I could quote this book all day long but here are my favorites:
"I pretty much have the ability to do whatever I want, whenever I want because I don't have children."
"The way most people feel about loving being a parent is exactly how I feel about not being a parent."
"Now, I don't think having a child makes you a conformist and I don't think that not having a child makes you a non-conformist - but I do think that following your heart no matter what other people have to say takes a real sense of self."
"I don't understand what's so great about having kids when I'm faced with the fact that at some point my kids would disappoint me - just like I disappointed my parents."
"I'm not only having a second childhood, I feel like I'm finally having a first. The last thing I want to do is bring a kid into all of this fun, leaving me to become the chaperone."
"I see parents all the time who get a kick out of saying, "I only like my kids. I don't like other kids." But if a single woman without children says, "I don't like kids," she sounds like a sociopath."
"When I'm in love with someone it doesn't dawn on me to want to have their baby. I just don't think I've ever had that urge to...ruin our lives."
"I had no idea that marriage was only supposed to be between two people who wanted to get between the sheets and make more people."
"Becoming a mother doesn't automatically make you a selfless person."
"I'm not a mother but I'm a nice person, sure. And I'm a nice person because I'm usually in a good mood and I'm usually in a good mood because I'm not responsible for raising a child I don't want."
"It's time for the bullying from breeders to stop. Are children the only thing you guys can talk about? When you're not talking about your own pregnancy you're talking about how everyone else should be pregnant. Did you forget that you used to have interests and hobbies and opinions about things other than my uterus? We childfree ladies are tired of defending our positions on something that doesn't need defending."
On a side yet related note: I've still got my super long post on all of my reasons for not wanting children in my 'drafts' section of this blog. I keep adding to it. I keep deleting things. One day I'll be as brave as Jen Kirkman and put it all out there for the world to see.
Give or help out in some way - Clothes donations and a little something for a friend.
Bake a new recipe - FAIL.
Go to yoga - Yes! Totally made it once this month. Better than nothing.
Write a handwritten letter - I've written many handwritten things now that Sam is no longer in the same city as I am. Also, I sent out a slew of postcards to all my girls. Just because I wanted to say hello. And I think we all like getting something other than bills in the mail.
Save - A tad. But not nearly as much as I would have liked. I had so many other stupid things to pay for.
Travel - Check! The gulf coast of Florida was such a dream. I'm so glad we made it over there.
Outside - Nope. I'm pretty sure I will fail at this one until October. It's hot as balls out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.