Friday, June 21, 2013

I'm so sick so sick of being tired and oh so tired of being sick.


A timeline of events.

Sunday: We got back from our trip (I'll write about that at some point this weekend) and I took a little nap. I woke up with a scratchy throat but didn't really think much of it. But I took an Airbourne JUST IN CASE. 

Monday: Full on sore throat but no other symptoms. I stopped by Walmart before work and picked up Ricola and DayQuil. I was in good spirits regardless of my sandpaper throat. Little did I know this was the beginning of hell...

Tuesday: Shit hit the fan. Work was insane. My sore throat had turned into ear aches, sinus pressure/pain, congestion, lots of snot, and a super fuzzy head. I came home and sobbed for a good 20 minutes to Dustin about my day from hell. He went out and bought me crackers, soup, juice, and pop ice. He waited on me hand and foot. Yes, I'm bragging about my husband. He made me change into "comfies" and then he tucked me in bed. He unfolded the bed tray and laid it over my lap. He brought me a drink. Then he brought me soup and crackers. He made sure I had both remotes for the fan and TV. And when I was done he cleaned it all up. He asked repeatedly if I needed anything else. I just wanted to sleep so he let me sleep.

Untitled
The saddest lunch in the world.

Wednesday: I took DayQuil and sucked on more Ricolas but it didn't really help. Work was a bit easier even though it was busier than ever. I wanted/needed to see a doctor. I don't have a PCP (primary care physician aka a family doctor). I have a gyno and that's it. I called 5+ MD offices and although they were all supposedly accepting new patients, none of them could get me in until July since I was not an established patient. So wait a second, let me get this straight...I have to schedule a visit when I'm feeling fine just so I am able to come in at a later date when I'm actually sick? That about right? How is it that a sick person can't make a appointment the same day to see a doctor?! Does this make sense to anyone? OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IS FUCKED UP. I just can't even. Ugh. So then I called clinics. CentraCare. Solantic. Etc. They told me it would be $150 WITH INSURANCE. Yeah, I have insurance and it costs $150. More fucked up healthcare. 

Side note: A few years ago when I couldn't afford and/or didn't want to pay out the ass for insurance therefore choosing to decline insurance from my former employer, I would go to the local Walk In Clinic for illnesses and the government funded Health Department for all feminine annuals. Both were cheaper than insurance. I once got bit by a brown recluse spider and it cost me $75 at the clinic to get checked out and get 3 different prescriptions so I didn't end up with a hole in my leg. Same when I had vertigo - $75. Oh and pleurisy (chest x-rays included!) - $75. It was always $75 without insurance and I was totally game for that. So fast forward to full on adult hood (aka being insured) and I have to pay MORE out of pocket than when I didn't have insurance. Yeah yeah I lived in a different county then and sure Obamacare has made changes (some awesome and some not awesome) but it still baffles my mind. I only have insurance at this point because I know that I'm supposed to. Most of the time, I don't see the point.

I left 30 minutes early and although I was originally headed home to sleep, I called one other clinic to see what they charged. The lady said $120. It's no $35 co-pay but cheaper than $150 at those other clinics. I immediately veered off the next exit and headed for the clinic. It was super clean and nice. The best part? NO ONE WAS IN THE WAITING AREA. Score! I'm the only one sick on this part of town. I filled out my 'paperwork' on an iPad and thought to myself "whoa, the future is now". I waited maybe 10 minutes before being called back to the little room. A nurse took my vitals - all A-OK. The MD came in and checked me out. Diagnoses: sinus infection. I had suspected as much. She gave me prescription for amoxicillin and flonase. She told me to get lots of rest and fluids. Also, to make sure I didn't come down with a fever. I was out within 45 minutes. Pretty unheard of. Pretty awesome.

Untitled Untitled
I forgot how wonderfully awesome pop-ice is and I didn't have to bum .25 off of a kid I don't know.

I drove straight to my pharmacy to get my prescriptions filled. My insurance "covered" both which means I still had to pay $15. Silver lining? Ugh, I guess you could call it that. But there was still a problem. The amoxicillin that was prescribed was a damn horse pill. I don't do pills. There are two pills I can and will take. Birth control because duh and it's super itty bitty. And the oval shaped blue Aleve. That's it. Thankfully the MD and pharmacy helped me out and gave me the liquid version. Another silver lining. Things were looking up for the first time in days.

Untitled
Yes, that's a hippo cup. 

When I came home Dustin had me lay down in bed straight away. He brought me my medicine and I gladly took a shot of the pink amoxicillin. The flonase was a new experience but I think I did pretty well. When you are that sick you will do just about anything to feel better. He set me up just as he did the previous night. I stayed up until 8PM and then I started to drift away.

Thursday: I woke up at 3AM miserable. Couldn't breathe at all. Couldn't sleep at all. So of course I used my time wisely - responding to texts and random social media comments. (Sorry if I disturbed anyone. I was only half awake. I can't be held responsible.) I woke up when Dustin did and took my meds. I called texted in sick to work. I felt really bad about that. I literally haven't called out sick in YEARS. At my last job, I left early sick twice in two years. Never a full day. Seriously! I can't remember the last time I was even sick. It's been over a year at least. I was certainly overdue I suppose. I needed to rest. I knew my body just wasn't going to make it at a full work day. Thankfully it wasn't a problem.

I fell back asleep until 9. I literally stayed in bed all day. I only got up twice. Once to get a drink and the other to use the restroom/take a shower. I could care less how dirty I was but showers really help relieve congestion. And it did help for awhile but it didn't last long. I watched lots of Friday Night Lights and then the back of my eyelids. By the time Dustin came home the sinus pressure was ridiculously uncomfortable and painful. I was kind of a bitch (which I apologized for today). I tried to sleep but the pain was too much. So I laid there, eyes closed, listening to music on my iPhone.

Untitled

Untitled 
Siri was a whole lot of help.

 Friday: I woke up without any pain and only minor congestion. I wasn't exactly 100% but I was feeling worlds better than I had all week. I went to work and had a pretty busy but good day. I still have to clear my throat every three minutes and I'm still blowing my nose (not nearly as often! small victories!) but I'm starting to feel like me again.

I've always had this theory on anything sick related. It takes one week, seven full days, to really get back on your feet. It was true for the surgeries I've had and all the other random illnesses I've suffered through. So I'm hoping to be 100% by Sunday. Fingers crossed!

* * *

To Dustin: In sickness and in health. Through it all, you are there. You are the one person I can rely on for everything and I hope you know how much that means to me. I never have to ask because you already know. You just fucking know. You are the best. 

To Nicole: I STILL feel bad I had to cancel our plans. Thank you for being so cool and understanding, not that I ever expect anything less from you. You are such a good and genuine friend. Next Thursday, it's ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.