I've never thought seriously about leaving Florida. Ever. There's a part of me that feels kind of ashamed to admit this. But it's true.
Out of nowhere, Erin asked me today at work "Do you ever think of just picking up and moving to another state?" in which I replied, "Not really."
It got me thinking. Why do people move out of state? Or even to another city? School? Family? Adventure? Job? To forget something? You could answer those questions with a thousand answers but I think it all comes down to bettering yourself somehow. I guess everyone has their reasons. I moved to another city (only an hour away from "home") when I was 21 - for love. Then together we moved back for jobs. And now that we are here I have no desire to live elsewhere.
Does that mean I'm not brave? Possibly.
Does it mean I lack adventure? Maybe.
Does that make me boring? Probably.
It's not just that I'm scared. That's part of it, sure, but it's not the whole thing. I love Florida. I love the thunderstorms in the summer. I love the amusement parks. I love the beaches and springs. I love that our winters hardly ever dip below 40 degrees. I love the flat land. I love how my mind fills with memories with every turn.
And the people. I love the people.
I've been to a lot of beautiful places that seem like they would be a dream to live in but they are all missing one key thing - people. Ok, they all have people, but not MY people. I don't have any friends in any of these places. No one to go shopping with or make funny faces at during yoga. No one who knows me the way home knows me. No one who knows me at all.
I admire those who can just take off and leave the comfort of home behind. Those people who can start fresh without a second thought. The ones who never have trouble making friends or learning the ins and outs of a new place. But, I'm not one of those people. At least not right now.
I'm pretty certain I would have a straight up anxiety attack if I were to move out of state. I'm sure I'd adjust eventually but it would be really hard. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit but I know I'd have a tough time. I'm a fan of routine and familiarity. There's just something to be said for friends who are only miles away or knowing short cuts when traffic sucks. You know, the important things.
Who knows where my life will lead. I could have a whole different outlook on things in 10 years. Hell, I could be calling a different state home in 10 years. I doubt it. But you just never know. I've been known to surprise myself from time to time.
For now, it's Florida Forever!
Tim Riggins knows where I'm coming from. He's a Texas boy, but he gets it nonetheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.